Human Resources

Leave for victims of domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault or stalking

Oregon law provides protections for you if you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, criminal harassment or stalking or if you are the parent or guardian of a minor child or dependent who is a victim of such acts.  Victims may take reasonable leave for any of the following reasons:

  • To seek legal or law enforcement assistance or remedies
  • To seek medical treatment for or time off to recover from injuries
  • To obtain counseling from a licensed mental health provider
  • To obtain services from a victim service provider
  • To relocate or secure an existing home, or to take steps to ensure your health and safety or the health and safety of your minor child or dependent
  • Leave as a reasonable safety accommodation

Applying for this leave

To apply for this leave, complete a leave of absence request form.  You are expected to give as much notice as possible.

Attach to your leave of absence request form one or more of the following documents:

  • A police report indicating that you or your minor child or dependent was a victim
  • A court order providing protection to you or your minor child or dependent
  • Documentation from a healthcare provider, advocate, clergy, or attorney or victim service provider that illustrates the need for leave or accommodation.

To the extent your need for this leave is also covered by OFLA, the college may run both leaves concurrently.

Who qualifies as my child or dependent?

For purposes of this leave, Reed College defines a child as

  • your biological, adopted, foster child or stepchild, or
  • the biological, adopted, foster child or stepchild of your domestic partner (of any gender), or
  • any child with whom you are in a relationship of in loco parentis.

A dependent is defined as an adult child who is limited by a physical or mental impairment or any adult of whom you have guardianship.

Pay and benefits during this leave

You are required to use sick pay and then vacation while on this leave.  If you exhaust sick pay and vacation, your leave will be unpaid.

While your leave is paid, you will receive holiday and administrative leave pay and you will continue to accrue sick time and vacation.  If your leave is unpaid, you will not qualify for holidays or administrative leave days and you will not accrue sick time and vacation.

While on an approved leave, you will continue to receive benefits provided you continue to pay your portion of the cost.  When you exhaust your sick and vacation pay, you must make arrangements with human resources to pay your portion of benefit costs for the duration of your leave.

Reasonable safety accommodations

If you are the victim of domestic violence, criminal harassment, sexual assault or stalking, you may be entitled to a reasonable safety accommodation that will allow you to more safely continue to work, unless such accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the college.  To request accommodation, speak with your supervisor or human resources.

Additional information