Human Resources

How to make changes to your benefits


Medical, dental and flexible spending account plan changes

Each year Reed holds benefits open enrollment during two weeks of November. This is the time that you can make changes to these plans, including adding or removing spouses, partners and children and switching plans.

Changes to coverage outside of annual open enrollment can only be made if you or your spouse, partner or child experience one of the following:

  •  Loss of existing health/dental coverage, including job-based, individual or student plans.
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHP
  •  Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan
  •  Household changes: marriage, divorce, legal separation, having a baby or adopting a child or a death in the family
  •  Spouse or domestic partner open enrollment: a spouse or partner going through open enrollment counts as a qualifying life event. For example, if a spouse chooses to decline coverage through their employer’s open enrollment, they can be added onto your Reed plan at that time
  •  Changes in residence: if you move out of the service area for your plan or different country, a student moving to or from the place they attend school, a seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work, moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing, moving to the US from a US territory or foreign country
  •  Judgments, decrees or court orders

If you experience one of the qualifying events above, and would like to or are required to make changes to your benefits, do the following within 30 days of the event:

  1. Complete this mid-year benefits change form.
  2. Turn in to the human resources office (or email proof of the need for the change in coverage.
  3. Human resources will review your request and notify you about whether or not we are able to make the change(s).

Other other Reed benefits changes can be made anytime

You may update your 403(b) retirement plan contribuitons at any time by logging in to your TIAA account.

You may also update your life insurance plan beneficiaries and/or request changes to your life insurance buy-up and ADD buy-up insurance at anytime. To do so, contact HR.