Human Resources

On the job injury or illness

What to do first when you are injured on the job

All on-the-job injuries and job-related illnesses must be reported as soon as possible. You will not be descriminated or retaliated against for reporting.

  • If this is an emergency, call community safety at x6666.
  • Seek medical care if needed.  You may choose your own medical care provider or you may visit Reed's occupational health clinics, listed below. You may call ahead to one of these clinics, however you may also drop in. An appointment is not required.

Kaiser Mt Talbert occupational health clinic                   
10100 SE Sunnyside Road
Clackamas, OR  97015

Providence occupational health clinic
9290 SE Sunnybrook Blvd
Clackamas, OR  97015

  • Report your injury or illness to your supervisor immediately.
  • Report your injury or illness to human resources immediately, either by calling Maria Granados or sending an email to
  • With your supervisor, complete a Reed accident report form within three calendar days of the injury or illness.
  • With your supervisor, complete a Form 801 within three calendar days of the injury or illness.

Completion of Form 801 initiates a workers' compensation claim. Subsequently, you will receive notifications from our workers' compensation insurance, Tristar. If Tristar determines that your injury or illness is work-related, they will accept your claim and notify you. If you claim is accepted, medical treatment for this injury or illness will be paid by Tristar.

Notify your supervisor and human resources immediately if your medical care provider instructs you not to work or provides you with work restrictions.  Keep your supervisor and human resources apprised of any changes in your return to work date or any changes in your work restrictions.  If you miss work, you will need to provide documentation from your medical care provider to your supervisor and human resources that you have been released to return to work.

Pay and benefits during workers' compensation leave

During the first three days that you miss work, you will use sick time. If you have no sick time, you will use vacation time and if neither are available, these days will be unpaid.

Starting on the fourth consecutive day that you miss work, should your claim be accepted, you will receive time loss payments from Tristar. These payments are equal to your pay prior to your injury. Payment does not begin until your claim is accepted.

While on an approved workers' compensation leave, you will continue to receive benefits provided you continue to pay your portion of the cost.

Workers' compensation and OFLA

Periods of employee disability resulting from a compensable on-the-job injury or illness will qualify as OFLA (Oregon Family Leave Act) if the injury or illness is a serious health condition, as defined by Oregon law.

OFLA leave will not be reduced by and will not run concurrently with any period the employee is unable to work because of a disabling compensable injury;  however, if the injury or illness is a serious health condition and the employee has refused a bona fide offer of light-duty or modified employment, OFLA leave will commence. 

Additional information

Reed Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

Oregon Workers' Compensation Division