Reed unions are open forums for the college's community—including students, staff, and faculty—to discuss relevant issues in a public space.
In 1947 faculty, staff, and students founded a forum for important issues of relevance to the Reed community. Known as “Reed Unions,” these are discussions open to the Reed Community—some moderated with a panel of experts, some entirely open forums without any panel. The Reed Union Committee includes members from the student body, faculty, and staff who work each year to host Unions that speak to the interests of the community.
Recent Reed Unions
Community Responsibility in a Time of Climate Crisis, February 6, 2020
Sustainability at Reed Now, December 2013
Climate Change: Policy, Advocacy, Science, March 2013
Reed Union Committee Members
- Pax Lloyd-Burchett, Student
- Presence O'Neal, Science Outreach Program Manager
- Isabelle Sinclair, Student
- Sabrina Smith, Administrative Coordinator, Alumni Programs and Annual Fund
- Lisa Steinman, Kenan Professor of English and Humanities
- Alexander Montgomery, Associate Professor of Political Science