IV. C.1. PROFESSIONAL TRAVEL
(Source: Office of Dean of Faculty, July 2023)
The College encourages faculty members to attend and participate in meetings of professional associations and societies of direct relevance to their teaching and research interests subject to the availability of funds. Whenever possible, faculty should avoid travel that conflicts with teaching, registration, exams, and senior orals. Unavoidably missed classes should be covered by a colleague or rescheduled. As soon as a traveler knows what conference he or she wishes to go to, the traveler should submit a travel request form.
Who is eligible:
- Faculty on 50% or more time
- Faculty on sabbatical or leave
- The Professional Travel fund is limited to $3,000 per year per faculty member.
- Number of domestic and international trips per year subject to the availability of funds.
- Travel awards support attendance at a professional association meeting, or invitation to present a paper, serve as a discussant, or organizer of a meeting. (Please attach a copy of the invitation or acceptance letter to the request for travel funds.)
- Funding for international travel is decided on the basis of other travel requested or taken during the fiscal year and the cost of the trip. Airfare should be arranged immediately upon approval.
- Lowest airfare point to point.
- Registration. The College pays the advance registration fee for a member.
- Lodging. The College pays the lowest available convention rate for a single room.
- Meals, parking, and ground transportation. The College provides $69 per day (based on the number of nights lodging) for meals, parking, and ground transportation. Receipts are not required.
- No additional funds are available.
- Complete a request for travel form (download PDF or Word), which is available from Lin Reedijk. Return to Lin. Reed works with Ellis Travel House, whose agents can book your ticket and charge it to the college. Agents to consult for domestic and international ticketing are John Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Natasha (Natasha@ellisth.com). Both can be reached at 503-671-9111. Once a travel request is approved and the ticket is booked, the college will not pay for changes in the itinerary.
- Submit to Lin your hotel and registration receipts (and an airfare receipt if you paid for the ticket yourself). Please attach a short cover memo identifying the total expected. Expenses in excess of the amount requested will not necessarily be reimbursed.
- Since the budget is cleared each fiscal year (July 1-June 30), there is no possibility of accumulating eligibility from one year to the next.