Help Desk

Information Technology

Student FAQ

How do I send a job to the dorm/IRC/library printer from my own computer?

You can print to any of the public printers that CUS maintains from your own computer by following the detailed set up instructions for both Windows 7/8/10 and macOS. Please note that you will not be able to print unless you follow our instructions. Selecting "shared printers" will never work.

How do I print double-sided?

If you know that the printer you are trying to print to has a duplexer then you can follow our detailed instructions for printing double sided. Please note that the IRC Computers are already enabled to print double-sided and you can send double-sided jobs easily.

I sent my job to the printer. Why didn't it print?

There are several common reasons why jobs don't print.

  • On your own computer, make sure you followed the detailed setup instructions that we provide for macOS and Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 or else the printer will not work. You cannot select a "shared printer."
  • Make sure you released your job from the web queue.

If it still won't print, contact us by dropping by the ETC Help Desk, calling x7525 or emailing

I forgot to save my document externally and logged out of a public computer. Is it gone forever?

Don't panic. Come to the Help Desk and get a T-Watcher. We can recover documents off of the computer that you were using for up to seven days, so long as they are saved. If they were not saved, then we won't be able to help, so make sure you save anything you are working on frequently. If no one is currently staffing the desk, send an email to with your contact info and we will get to you as soon as possible.

Do remember to save your document externally next time, whether it be a flash drive, or you email it yourself.

How long are the IRC Computer Labs open?

The IRC Computer Labs are open 24 hours.

Why can't I log into IRIS?

If you are sure you are typing in the correct username and password and it still is not working, drop by, call us at x7525 or email CUS at and we will get you up and running with IRIS again soon.

I forgot my password. What do I do?

Open a web browser and go to our online password reset tool. You'll be guided through the security questions you previously set up, and then you'll be asked to set a new password.

If you haven't previously set up security questions using our online tool, you'll need to grab your photo ID and swing by the Computer User Services help desk in the ETC.  Full time staff can help you reset your password during regular hours (M-F, 8:30-5). 

I know my password, but I want to change it.

Open a web browser and go to our online password reset tool. You'll be prompted for your username and password first.  If you haven't done so yet, you'll be asked to set up some security questions.  These questions will let you automatically reset your password, in case you ever forget it in the future.  Once you have security questions in place, follow the prompts to reset your password.

If you run into trouble along the way, contact the Help Desk at x7525 or at

Does Reed provide Adobe Creative Cloud to Students?

No. Adobe apps are available on select machines in the PARC (Performing Arts Resource Center) located on the third floor of the Performing Arts Building. Students may apply for funding to purchase a subscription through the Career Advancement Fund. Adobe also provides a student discount that can be accessed here.

Ack! It spilled. Help!

If liquid is spilled on your laptop, don't panic! To prevent further damage, turn the computer off immediately, unplug the power cable from the laptop and take out the battery. Open the lid and leave it upside down on a table (like a tent) to dry out for a day or longer. Refrain from powering the computer on during this time or more damage is likely to occur. After your computer has aired out, take it to the Hardware Repair Shop in the ETC for inspection.

How can I prevent disasters likes data loss?

Unfortunately, in the land of computers, nothing is ever guaranteed. Even if you take expert care of your machine, you will likely run into problems someday. Luckily, you can take steps to make sure a hard drive malfunction or something of similar magnitude is not the end of the world:

  • Backup, backup, backup your data. We cannot stress this enough! Keep copies of your important papers and files in multiple locations: the home server, email, USB thumbdrive, external hard drive, CDs/DVDs, etc. For more information, see our backup tips.
  • Keep your computer safe from viruses and spyware. Avoid applications like Limewire since they encourage illegal file sharing and are often a hotbed for spyware and malware. Be wary of opening email attachments and downloading other items from the Internet even if you know and trust the source.
  • Do not leave your computer unattended. Laptops have been stolen from the Library and other public areas on campus. Use a lock if you need to be away from your computer for a short period. Play it safe and take your computer with you when gone for an extended amount of time.
  • Keep your original Operating System and other software installation CDs on hand. For many reasons, a reinstallation of Mac or Windows may be necessary. We can help with this, but only if you have your original disks. So keep these somewhere safe where you can find them quickly!

For more information, please refer to our safe computing section. And, as always, if you have specific questions or encounter a disaster, never hesitate us to contact us by coming to the Help Desk, calling x7525, or emailing Good luck!

My mom/grandfather/best friend/worst enemy is coming to visit me and wants to use the internet. Can they?

If you have a guest visiting, you should never give them your own username and password, which gives them access to IRIS, your email and other private things (see our pages on Kerberos for more information regarding this). Instead, guests should come to the ETC help desk or the library to get registered as a guest. If you would like to know more about our policy on Guests, as well as Alumni, in the IRCs you can read about it online.

How can I access library resources like JSTOR from off campus?

You can access these resources when you're off campus by using our proxy. We provide detailed directions for using our proxy on our website.

How do I use/do this one thing on Word/Excel/Mathematica/LaTeX/some other kind of software?

Reed maintains help documentation for several popular programs that you can peruse at your leisure. If you have a specific question that you can't find the answer to, you can always contact us by coming to the Help Desk, calling x7525, or emailing

I need to scan/make a copy of/fax something. Can you help?

There is a copier/scanner located in the lobby of the ETC. For copier machines you should go to the Library and if you need to use a fax machine you should go to the Print Shop.

I'm having trouble registering my computer on the wireless or wired network

Please contact CUS (x7525) and we can help. We may ask for the MAC address of your ethernet or wireless card.

How do I register my XBOX/game system to the wireless network?

Call Computer Users Services at x7525 or come to the Help Desk in the ETC with the MAC Address of your XBOX/game system and your IRIS username and it will be manually registered to the network.

How can I send enormous files that I can't email?

File Robot can be used to send or receive large files that can't be emailed. Click here to learn more about File Robot.

How do I enable cookies on my web browser?

Cookies can be enabled or disabled in the preferences/settings of the web browser. Click here for our step-by-step instructions for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome.

How can I free up space on my Mac?

There are a few ways to free up storage on your Mac computer. Click here for our guide.