Career Advancement Fund
Students may apply to receive funding of up to $500 per school year in support of a range of professional development pursuits, including:
- Travel to internships, shadow opportunities, or professional interviews for full-time employment
- Career-related conferences, training, and related events
- Conferences/events must have a career-related component with a clearly established connection between the event and your professional goals
- The subsidy can be used to cover travel expenses, registration expenses, or relevant membership dues
- Travel to graduate/professional school interviews
- Purchase of professional attire (please note, clothing budgets are typically capped at $200)
- Standardized test registration or test prep fees for GRE, LSAT or MCATs*
- Graduate or professional school applications*
- Other categories of expense may be eligible, as determined by the review committee on a case-by-case basis
- Please note: you may not use the CAF to pay for the cost of courses taken elsewhere to satisfy Reed graduation or distribution requirements
* Applicants requesting funding for graduate/professional school applications and or standardized tests must first investigate eligibility for a fee waiver/reduction
Currently enrolled Reed students, including seniors during the summer after graduation, are eligible to apply.
Applicants may receive a total of $500 from the Career Advancement Fund per academic year. You may apply more than once if you have not yet reached the $500 limit.
Funding requests will be reviewed and, if approved, may be fully or partially fulfilled depending on the applicant’s financial need, strength of application materials, and availability of funds.
All approved funding requests will be paid in advance through the Reed College Business Office.
Expenses generally will not be reimbursed after the fact.
Application Process and Materials
The Career Advancement Fund is a grant application in which you must specifically address the prompts provided. The more clearly you explain how this funding will support your future career pursuits, the better. Please provide context for your request, bearing in mind that the readers may not know your financial circumstances or how your request fits in to your larger career goals.Apply via Career Advancement Fund in Handshake including:
- Responses to two short essay prompts (250 words max for each response) Be thorough and detailed in the words allotted; we need a thoughtful response to both questions in order to consider your request.
- How will this funding help you achieve your professional goals? Please be explicit about how this activity is related to career exploration or development
- Describe your financial circumstances, particularly as related to the resources available to fund the activity for which you are requesting Career Advancement Funds. Within this response, please indicate whether you receive financial aid from the college.
- An itemized budget detailing how you will spend the funds and any relevant documentation supporting the request. Be sure to include a total in your budget request, and indicate how any expenses in excess of your CAF request will be covered.
- A one-page resume
We strongly recommend that you have your resume and application reviewed before you submit (see the right-hand sidebar of the CLBR website for Drop-In and Express Advising hours and locations).
- If requesting a meal allowance while traveling, CLBR recommends a maximum of $30 per day
- If your request includes travel, please include a budget line for transportation, which may cover commuting costs, airport transfer, and plane/train/bus tickets
- Use of public transportation rather than taxis or rideshare services is highly recommended
Applications accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis while funds last, throughout the year. Applications to request funding for travel within the United States must be submitted a minimum of three weeks prior to the intended date of travel. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant with a request to resubmit.