Career Advancement Fund
The Career Advancement Fund is currently closed. It will reopen in fall for the 18-19 school year.Students can apply to receive funding of up to $500 in support of a range of professional development pursuits, including:
- Travel to professional interviews for full-time employment, internships or shadow opportunities;
- Career-related conferences, training, and related events;
- Conferences/events must have a career-related component with a clearly established connection between the event and your professional goals.
- The subsidy can be used to cover travel expenses, registration expenses, or relevant membership dues.
- Travel to graduate/professional school interviews
- Purchase of professional attire
- Standardized test registration or test prep fees for GRE, LSAT or MCATs.
- Graduate or professional school application fees for students with documented financial need.
- Other categories of expense may be eligible, but must be assessed on a case-by-case basis by a member of the Center for Life Beyond Reed.
- Please note, the Career Advancement fund *can not* be used to pay for the cost of courses taken elsewhere to satisfy Reed graduation or distribution requirements.
EligibilityCurrently enrolled Reed students, including graduating seniors, are eligible to apply.
FundingApplicants may request up to $500 from the Career Advancement Fund. Funding requests will be reviewed and either fully or partially fulfilled depending on the applicant’s financial need, strength of application materials, and availability of funds. All approved funding requests will be paid in advance through the Reed College Business Office. Expenses will generally not be reimbursed after the fact.
Application Process and MaterialsApply via Career Advancement Fund in Handshake including:
- Responses to two short essay questions (250 words max for each response):
- How will this funding help you achieve your future goals? Please be explicit as the connection between the proposed activity and you career exploration or development justification.
- Describe your financial need or circumstances that will help us understand your funding needs
- An itemized budget detailing how you will spend the funds and any relevant documentation supporting the request. Be sure to include a grand total of your budget request!
- One-page resume
- If requesting a meal allowance while traveling, CLBR recommends a maximum of $30 per day.
- If your request includes travel, please include a budget line for transportation, which may cover commuting costs, airport transfer, and plane/train/or bus tickets.
- Use of public transportation is highly recommended instead of requesting funding for ride-share services such as Uber or Lyft!
- If requesting funding for standardized test registration fees or graduate school application costs, please first investigate whether you are eligible for fee waivers from the test administrator or graduate program, and address what you discovered in your application.