Human Resources

Crime victims' leave


If you or an immediate family member has suffered financial, social, psychological or physical harm as a result of being a victim of certain felonies, such as kidnapping, rape, arson, and/or assault, you may be eligible for crime victims' leave to attend the applicable criminal proceedings.

Unlike FMLA or OFLA, you are eligible for this leave starting on your first day of employment.

Applying for leave

In order to apply for this leave, please complete the leave of absence request form.  You are expected to give as much notice as possible.

In all cases, you may be required to furnish certification of the need for leave or accommodation, such as copies of any notices of scheduled criminal proceedings that you receive from a law enforcement agency or district attorney’s office, police report or a protective order issued by a court, or similar documentation.

Pay during crime victims' leave

You are required to use vacation or sick leave when you take crime victims' leave. If you have no vacation or sick time, your leave will be unpaid. 

When on a paid leave, whether using vacation or sick time, you will qualify to receive holiday pay and full day administrative leave pay.  When on an unpaid leave, you will not qualify for these paid days off.

Who qualifies as my family member?

Family members include spouse, domestic partner, father, mother, sibling, child, stepchild and grandparent.