Thesis and Your Senior Year
During the Fall 2019 semester, get help with your thesis every Thursday 5:00-7:00pm in ETC 211 starting October 3!
It's your senior year, and you likely have questions about entering the Land of Thesis. This page is intended to help make your senior year, particularly the technical aspects of writing your thesis, go as smoothly as possible. If you have questions about anything on these pages, email Computer User Services, call us at x7525, or come visit our Help Desk opposite the IRCs.
What is a Thesis Template?One of the first terms you might encounter this year is "thesis template." The thesis templates are pre-made documents in which to write your thesis, so that it is formatted correctly for the Library and Registrar's Office. CUS provides downloadable templates for both Word and LaTeX. We recommend writing your thesis in the template from the beginning.
The thesis template is not just pre-formatted document, it is also an introduction and tutorial to writing your thesis in your program of choice. Before you try to begin writing in the template, take the time to read it!
- Download the Thesis Templates
- For more help:
For in-person help using the thesis templates, drop-in consulting is available any time the Help Desk is open. Or you can email CUS or call us at x7525. The sooner you come and talk to us with questions, the better!
The Senior HandbookThe Senior Handbook can be downloaded from the Registrar Resources Page. It's republished every year and contains useful information for seniors, including a lot of thesis-related information:
- Formatting requirements
- Deadlines, both divisional & global
- Planning your year -- things to think about at the beginning, middle, and end
- The process of turning your thesis in
- Degree requirements and credit information
- The Library's Thesis page has a great deal of useful information and resources
- Copyright Help for Theses (provided by the Library)
- Doyle O.W.L. is Reed's Online Writing Lab, with a variety of writing resources. For in-person help, drop by the Dorothy Johansen House, located across the East Parking Lot from the ETC.
- Grants and Awards
- Lottery Macs, with preference given to seniors!
- The thesis printing page includes flowcharts of requirements and prices for printing.
Life After Thesis
Believe it or not, life continues after thesis, and there are some things you should start thinking about now.
- Commencement Information and Schedule
- Alumni Information
- Migrating from Your Reed User Account
- Career/Grad School Information