Student Life Office

Withdrawal FAQs

Students who plan to permanently depart from the College may do so by withdrawing. Withdrawals are typically processed before the start of a semester but a student may apply to withdraw until Week 10 of a semester. If you are considering withdrawing during a semester, please review our tuition refund policy.

Withdrawing is a big decision that can have academic, financial and personal implications. If you would like to speak with someone about your situation and options, please contact the Student Life Office to schedule a meeting with a dean and review these alternatives to taking a leave of absence

You are encouraged to continue to attend classes until you have made an official decision to take a leave of absence to avoid falling behind on work if you do decide to remain enrolled for the semester.

Withdrawal Process Questions

The Student Life Office coordinates the withdrawal process in collaboration with several partnering offices. If you need assistance or have general questions about withdrawing, please contact the Student Life Office at

What are the steps for withdrawing?

To withdraw from the college, students must submit a withdrawal request form in IRIS and follow the instructions found here. Students must complete the process within five business days of initiating a withdrawal or their withdrawal request will be canceled.

What happens if I do not complete the process within five business days?

Your withdrawal request will be canceled, and you will remain enrolled. If you still intend to withdraw, you must contact the Student Life Office to re-initiate your request with a new effective date. A changed effective date will affect your tuition refund or owe.

When is the deadline to withdraw?

Students can initiate a withdrawal before the semester at any time. We recommend students initiate their withdrawal and complete the process at least three weeks before the start of the semester to avoid any unnecessary billing or tuition charges.

If a student wants to initiate a withdrawal during the semester, they can do so any time before the last day of classes for the semester. See academic calendar for specific dates.

If you are a recipient of financial aid, please note that if you remain enrolled for more than 60% of the semester, you may lose a full semester of financial aid. The 60% of the semester mark usually falls a few days before the final Withdrawal deadline. Students receiving financial aid are encouraged to consult Financial Aid and contact Student Life before the end of Spring Break to prepare to initiate their withdrawal before the 60% deadline.

What if I withdraw and later decide I want to return to Reed?

Students who withdraw and later decide they would like to return to Reed must apply for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. 

Registration & Class Questions

If I plan to withdraw during a semester for which I have already registered, will my registration for those classes be automatically canceled?

Yes. Your registration for classes will be canceled and your instructors will be notified by the Registrar’s Office once your withdrawal is in effect. 

What will be recorded on my transcript for semesters when I withdraw?

What is recorded on your transcript depends on the time of the semester you withdraw:

  • If you withdraw before the drop deadline appropriate for your course (semester-long or year-long), no record of your attendance will be recorded on your transcript for that semester.
  • If you withdraw after the drop deadline, “W” for withdrawal will be entered in your transcript for those courses for that semester.

Please consult the current Academic Calendar for these dates and deadlines. If you have further questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Can I take classes at other institutions after I withdraw?

Yes. A Withdrawal is an official separation from the college, indicating you do not plan to return to Reed College in the future, therefore any further academic pursuits at other institutions will have no bearing on your Reed academic record.

Class Year & Student Status

I am an international student. What do I need to know about visas, immigration documents, and other related matters?

International students must speak with International Student Services staff to discuss their visa program status, departure to their home country, and other considerations. Please contact ISS at to arrange an appointment.

How is the process for withdrawing different if I'm a MALS student?

Students in the MALS program should contact the Director of Special Programs Barbara Amen directly for more information about withdrawing from the MALS program.

Financial Aid & Tuition Refunds

Students are encouraged to consult with the Business Office and Financial Aid before making the decision to withdraw.

  • Please visit Reed's tuition refund schedule
  • Students are advised to initiate their withdrawl in IRIS before the end of the weekend whenever possible to secure a more favorable tuition refund. 
  • The Business Office prepares a worksheet to calculate whether there will be a refund or a balance due after the withdrawal is processed. An estimated worksheet will be prepared upon request.  

What happens to any payments that I already paid to the Business Office for the remainder of the semester/year?

  • Depending on your withdrawal effective date, you may owe additional funds to the college.
  • If a leave results in a credit balance, the College will issue a refund or request refund instructions.
Please contact the Business Office with questions about tuition refunds. A copy of the worksheet mentioned above will be mailed to the student once the withdrawal is finalized. 

How does my leave affect my eligibility for subsequent financial aid, and what happens to the financial aid I have received for the semester/year?

Withdrawing does not affect your eligibility for financial aid in the future; however, an unfinished semester may be counted as one semester of financial aid eligibility used.

Lifetime loan aggregate limits, however, apply and the amounts that you retain for an unfinished semester will be counted toward this aggregate limit. The Business Office determines how much, if any, of your current financial aid must be repaid to the financial aid programs and how much financial aid you are eligible to retain. This calculation is based on the date of your withdrawal, which may be different than your move out date if you are living on campus.

Please be certain to discuss with the Financial Aid Office and Business Office any money you may owe (that is, aid to be repaid) as a result of withdrawing. You may or may not owe, depending on your individual situation.

What do I do if I purchased Dewar Insurance?

Please contact the Business Office for more information.

What if I have a Direct Student Loan?

You will need to complete an online exit interview for your Direct Student Loan. The six-month grace period for your Federal Direct Loan begins after your last day of attendance at Reed. During this grace period, interest accrues but no payments are due. Repayment on your Direct Student loan begins after your six month grace period. Please note that borrowers are eligible for only one grace period on your Direct Student Loan.

What if I have a Federal Perkins Loan?

You will need to do an exit interview for your Perkins Loan through our loan service provider, University Accounting Services (UAS). Please be aware you will not have access to transcripts until you complete your exit counseling. 

Your initial nine-month grace period on your Perkins Loan will begin after the date of last attendance at the College. During this grace period no interest accrues and no payments are due. Repayment on the loan will begin nine-months after your last date of attendance.

What if I have a Reed Loan?

You will need to complete the Reed Loan “Payout Loan Note” and “Truth in Lending” requirements regardless of your future plans. The Business Office will contact you via email with specific instructions after your withdrawal paperwork is completed. Please note that you will not have access to transcripts or to SOLAR until these requirements are completed.

What if I have a parent or private loan?

Typically private and parent loans do not have a grace period. Please consult Financial Aid and/or your private loan servicer.

On-Campus Housing

Students who live on campus and withdraw will have their room and board contract cancelled. Students who withdraw during the semester will have five business days to move out of the residence halls after submitting their leave request in IRIS. Please read Moving Out of On-Campus Housing for more information about the move out process and storage.

What happens to my housing contract?

Your room and board contract will terminate on the effective date of your withdrawal. If you return your room key and there is no damage to your room, you will not receive any additional charges. Your housing contract or assignments for any future semesters will also be cancelled. 

What if I withdraw during the winter break?

If you initiate a withdrawal during winter break, you must seek special permission from Residence Life ( to access your room to remove your belongings when the residence halls are closed. 

Can I visit friends in the residence hall and stay overnight after I withdraw?

The Residence Life guest policy allows current students in the residence hall to host a guest for up to 14 days a semester with approval from the roommate(s) if applicable. As a guest you would need to be accompanied by your host while on campus. Please refer to the housing contract for more information.

Access to Campus Services

After you withdraw from the college, you are no longer eligible to utilize services, programs or facilities reserved for students and community members. There are a few exceptions if you are approved for an alumni card through Alumni Relations. Visit Alumni Relations to learn more about what facilities and services you retain access to as a Reed alum.

Will I keep my on-campus mailbox?

No. Mail will be sent to the forwarding address provided on your withdrawal form. Students should also update their IRIS account with a forwarding address. It is possible to forward your mail overseas; however, the effectiveness of this option varies between countries.

Will I continue to have access to my Reed email account?

No. Your Reed email account will be closed and your email and files will be deleted. Learn how to save your data before your account is closed.

May I use the library after I withdraw?

Withdrawn students are welcome as visitors in the library but are not granted borrowing privileges.

Can I continue to use the services of the Health & Counseling Center?

No. Students who withdraw do not have access to the on-campus health and counseling center staff or services.

Do I lose my Reed health insurance?

If you attended at least 30 days of a semester and did not waive the health insurance, you will continue to be covered by the student health insurance for that semester.  A semester begins on the first day of classes. 

If you attended less than 30 days of the semester, did not waive the health insurance, and used the health insurance, you may qualify to be covered by the student health insurance for that semester.

If you attended less than 30 days of the semester, did not waive the health insurance, and did not use the health insurance, you will not continue to be covered by the student health insurance.    

If you did not attend any of the semester, you will not be covered under the Reed health insurance.

The Affordable Care Act allows individuals to purchase insurance whether they have a pre-existing condition or not so you will be able to purchase an individual plan through the marketplace.

You can learn more about Reed’s health insurance coverage here. Please contact the Business Office if you have questions about your health insurance coverage.

May I use the Sports Center?

No. Students who withdraw are not eligible to use the Sports Center, take classes, compete on teams, or participate in Reed Outing Club events.

May I participate in campus or student group events, like SEEDS trips or Gray Fund events?

Students who withdraw are not eligible to participate in student group events or college-sponsored trips. Students who withdraw are able to attend campus-wide events as the guest of a current Reed student.

May I be in student organization spaces, register an event, or signate?

No. Only current Reed students are able to receive senate and other funds, reserve space, signate, or sign contracts on behalf of a student event.

Can I attend Renn Fayre?

You may attend Renn Fayre as a guest of a currently enrolled student.

Am I permitted to work on campus?

Students who withdraw are not eligible for student employment. Your campus employer and the Student Payroll Specialist in the Business Office will be notified when you withdraw.

If you are working on campus or through an off-campus Federal Work Study (FWS) Internship program, you must stop working on or before the date your withdrawal is in effect and notify your supervisor that you will not be able to continue working. Please be certain to turn in your final timesheet to the Business Office before you depart.

What if I have other obligations such as volunteer work or campus committees?

Students who withdraw are ineligible to serve on campus committees or hold positions in community governance. Please notify any groups if your change in status will affect your ability to participate in any committees or governance.

Will I be able to continue charging purchases at the Bookstore?

Your Bookstore account will be deactivated when your withdrawal begins. You will need to pay any balance owed to the bookstore and return any outstanding rental books before you leave or as soon as possible afterward, prior to the due date. The bookstore will transfer your balance to the Business Office to consolidate all charges that might be due in one place.

Returning to Reed

If you decide you would like to return to Reed after withdrawing, please follow the instructions for readmission to request to return. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have any questions about readmission.


Please read the Withdrawal FAQs to learn more about the regulations for withdrawing. You are welcome to contact the Student Life Office if you have any questions.

Student Life Office
Location: Eliot Hall 218
Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm; closed noon–1 pm
Telephone: 503-517-7396