Student Life Office

Access to Student Information

Reed College values the accuracy and security of student record information. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), college students may in most cases determine who has access to their records. Generally speaking, the rights parents and families had to student records in secondary education transfer to the student when they enroll in an institution of higher education.

As Reed has implemented its policies in line with FERPA, parents or family members who want to receive information about their student’s educational records can generally do so only if their student signs a release form.

Visit the Registrar’s Office for more information about Reed College’s policy related to access to student records.

Access to Student Information During an Emergency

In the case of an emergency, where the student’s health or safety is in jeopardy or if there is a concern that the student poses a threat to self or to someone else, the College may contact the student’s provided emergency contact(s). Students are encouraged to keep their emergency contact information current in IRIS.

In all other cases, the college will not contact family members or provide information about the student’s whereabouts, academic progress, use of campus services, honor principle violations or interactions with college staff without the student’s permission. The college strongly encourages students and parents to agree upon a plan for communicating about the student’s academic progress and other personal matters. If a student would like to grant their parent access to specific information, the student should begin by contacting the Registrar's Office.

In situations where the college is unable to disclose information about a student’s status, parents, families and concerned community members should know that Reed College takes the safety and wellbeing of students seriously and follows up appropriate with every report of concern received.

Release of Information

A student may authorize the release of disciplinary and other education record information to a third party for the purpose of a college transfer application, job, internship or graduate school application, or for other circumstances, by following the steps outlined on the Requests for Dean’s Certification Forms and Disciplinary Information.