Returning from a Medical Leave of Absence
Submit a Request to Return
Students on medical leave have to secure approval from the Vice President for Student Life to return. In order to authorize your return to Reed, the VP and a provider in the Health and Counseling Center will need to see evidence that you have followed treatment recommendations and your condition has stabilized satisfactorily, and for a sufficient period of time, such that there is a reasonable expectation that you will be able to succeed at Reed.
Toward this end, when you feel you are ready to return:
- Please send a letter requesting to return from medical leave. The letter should describe how you have made productive use of your time away, what treatment recommendations you have followed to deal with the medical/psychological situation that resulted in the interruption of your studies, and why you believe that you are ready to return to Reed College. The letter must be sent to both the VP for Student Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to the Health and Counseling Center (email@example.com).
- Please submit a Provider Questionnaire, completed and signed by your primary treatment provider, to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax 503/517-4947.
Deadline to Request to Return
The above documentation is due by June 30 to return for the Fall semester, and November 30 to return in the Spring semester. Requests to return and associated documentation received after these dates will not be considered.
Following Receipt of Your Request
Once we receive the aforementioned documents, a staff member in the HCC and the VP for Student Life will conduct a thorough review of your request to return. Health and Counseling staff will review documentation and consult with you and your provider(s) (with your permission) about your readiness to return. Health and Counseling staff will then submit a recommendation to the VP for Student Life. You will be informed of the decision via an email from the Administrative Coordinator to Student Life.
Registering for Classes
Students on a medical leave of absence cannot register for the upcoming semester until they have been officially approved to return by the VP for Student Life and Health and Counseling staff. Students will be notified by email when they are approved to return by the Student Life Office. The email will include information with instructions for how to register for the upcoming semester.
Apply for Financial Aid
Reed students who intend to return from a medical leave of absence may apply for financial assistance on the same basis as continuing students, with the same forms, supporting documents, and deadlines.
To be eligible for the greatest amount of institutional and federal financial aid, you must complete all financial aid application requirements by the April 15 deadline (May 1 at the latest) regardless of the semester you plan to return to Reed. The deadlines are the same for students returning for the spring semester of an academic year and require advance planning. Please plan ahead. Please visit Applying for Financial Aid for more information.
Please note: If your application is completed between May 1 and July 1, the amount of institutional aid offered is reduced. After July 1 students are no longer eligible for institutional aid, but may still apply for federal financial aid.
Apply for On-Campus Housing
If you would like to live on-campus when you return to Reed, please follow the steps and timelines below. If you are not yet approved to return from your MLOA and encounter any difficulties signing up for the housing lottery, please contact Residence Life (email@example.com) and Student Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
If you plan to return for the fall semester:
- Follow the instructions and deadlines for applying for the housing lottery as listed on the Residence Life Housing Lottery website
- If you miss the housing lottery, you can contact the Residence Life Office to sign up for the waitlist
If you plan to return for the spring semester:
- Review the information on the Residence Life website for applying for Spring semester housing
- Complete the Spring Housing application form or contact Residence Life directly following the instructions on the website linked above
Please note: due to limited available spaces, housing is not guaranteed for returning students. If you do not receive a room on-campus, please review Off-Campus Housing for resources on finding off-campus housing in the Portland area.
Request or Update Disability Accommodations
If you will be requesting disability-related classroom or housing accommodations, please visit the Disability and Accessibility Resources (DAR) website for important information regarding documentation and timelines.
You are encouraged to contact DAR to confirm that any classroom or other accommodations you had in place before you took your Medical Leave of Absence are still current.
Contact International Student Services (email@example.com) as soon as you know you would like to return to discuss renewing your program visa and other entry requirements.
Checklist for Returning from a MLOA
- Upon approval to return, contact your faculty adviser and request your SOLAR pin to register for classes
- Meet with your faculty adviser to discuss your return and plan for your first semester back at Reed
- Meet with a dean in Student Life to discuss your transition back to Reed, including academic and other support resources. You will be invited by email to meet with a dean during the first week of the semester.
- If you plan to transfer credits from another institution to Reed, contact Ben Bradley in the Registrar’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org, 503/777-7295, Eliot 311)
- Update your mailing and/or permanent address in IRIS, if changed
- Visit the Reed Bookstore to re-set up your Reed Bookstore account
- Consult the Business Office or PacificSource directly if you have any questions about resuming your student health insurance.
- If you wish to waive the student health insurance, complete the health insurance waiver before the first day of classes
- If you misplaced your Reed ID card, visit Community Safety in 28 West for a new student ID card
Students returning from a medical leave of absence for the fall semester are eligible to begin work as early as July 1. Visit the Student Employment portal on IRIS to search for job openings on or off campus, look for Federal Work-Study positions, find internships, and search volunteer opportunities.
Campus Life and Community
Connect to student groups, campus committees and/or club sport teams you are interested in. Contact the following offices to learn more about opportunities to connect to campus social and cocurricular activities:Student Engagement: 503/788-6692 • email@example.com • Student Center
Athletics, Fitness & Outdoor Programs: 503/517-7680 • firstname.lastname@example.org • Sports Center
SEEDS: 503/777-7563 • email@example.com • Student Center 114