Process for Hiring International Students
International students are defined as students that are attending Reed on F-1 or J-1 student visa.
International students are eligible for on-campus employment and may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester, and up to 40 hours per week during breaks.
International students must apply for a social security number once they have received an offer of on-campus employment. When an international student is hired for the first time on campus, the following process must be completed:
- Supervisor requests to hire the student in HireEm (same process as for a domestic student).
- Once a student is offered a job, they should call the Social Security Office at 1-888-632-6990 to make an appointment to request a social security number.
- Students will receive an email from payroll indicating that they need to fill out hiring paperwork, and will need to provide copies of their I-20 and Visa.
- Once the student completes hiring paperwork, they will receive a letter from the payroll office to take to their Social Security Office appointment.
- After the appointment, you will receive a letter in the mail confirming that you applied for a social security number. Once you receive the letter, you must scan/email it to the payroll specialist at email@example.com.
- Once you submit your letter to the payroll specialist, you may begin working. Students may not work before submitting this letter to the payroll specialist. The student status in HireEm will be “pending” until this letter is received. Once it is received by the payroll specialist, the student will be officially hired in HireEm and have access to their timesheet.
- Once the student receives their social security card by mail, they must email a copy of the card to the payroll specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org. It may take up to 6 weeks to receive your actual social security card in the mail.