Process for Hiring International Students
International students are defined as students that are attending Reed on F-1 or J-1 student visa.
International students are eligible for on-campus employment and may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester, and up to 40 hours per week during breaks.
International students must apply for a social security number once they have received an offer of on-campus employment. When an international student is hired for the first time on campus, the following process must be completed:
- Supervisor requests to hire the student in HireEm (same process as for a domestic student).
- Student will receive an email from payroll indicating that they need to fill out hiring paperwork in the payroll office, and need to bring their I-20 and Visa.
- Once the student completes hiring paperwork in the payroll office, they will receive a letter from the payroll office to take to the Social Security Office to request a social security number.
- The student cannot be paid until they receive their social security card, however, once they have completed the hiring paperwork, they may work on-campus and will be given a paper timesheet to track their hours until the card arrives.
- The student takes the letter from payroll to the local Social Security Office to request a Social Security Number.
- Once the student receives their social security card by mail, they must bring the card to the payroll office. They will then be added to payroll and will have access to their GPS timesheet.