Business Office

Accounts Payable

The accounts payable staff is responsible for making payments owed by the college to suppliers and other creditors. There are three basic functions of the accounts payable department: vendor payments, employee and student payments, and business/travel expense reimbursements.

Accounts Payable Guidance

The business office writes checks on Fridays. The submission deadline for the Friday check run is Wednesday by 5pm. A disbursement request or invoice voucher must be received by the business office by this deadline in order to be ready on Friday.

- For non-payroll payments to faculty, staff, students, and other Reed community members (alums, individuals performing services who have completed a Personal Services Agreement-PSA) use the disbursement form. (Excel) (PDF)

- For payments to external vendors with invoices use the invoice voucher form. (PDF)

*NEW* Submit requests for payment to 

*NEW* All forms containing personal identifying information need to be sent via the business office file robot.  If your disbursement request contains sensitive information such as banking information or social security information including direct deposit forms or a W-9, please submit via file-robot link.

*NEW* Travel Restrictions: COVID-19 Prevention and Response Plan: an email approval or written approval from department VP approving travel must be included with travel reimbursement or PCard statement reconciliation.

To reduce delays in processing your payment request follow these guidelines:

Documentation Requirements:

    • Receipts must be legible, itemized, dated, and clearly show proof of payment.
    • Individuals being paid for a service must submit a W9 if not already an established vendor and complete a PSA.
    • Vendor invoices must clearly state the vendor name and remit to address and include the amount due.  We do not pay off of statements, packing lists, quotes, or estimates.

Need help? Contact Irene Lyczko at 503-788-6633 or

How do I submit expenses for reimbursement?

Read the Accounts Payable Guidance section for information on check run schedule, additional documentation requirements, submission deadline, and submission instructions.

Before filling out the disbursement request, please download the disbursement form and save as a template to your desktop, this will provide the best results for electronic submission. If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro please utilize this Acrobat version, all other software including Preview, please use this Excel version and "Print", "Save As" "PDF".

A disbursement request is used for reimbursement of expenses paid out of pocket on behalf of the college. Include the name and address of the payee, the organization (ORGN) and account (ACCT) number, purpose of payment and description of the expense, amount due, and the department budget manager signature.

Entertainment and meal expenses must include the names of attendees or the name of the group. Payments made on behalf of another person (such as hotel or registration expenses) must reflect the individual's name and reason for the expense.

Mileage will be reimbursed at the standard business rate as set by the IRS.

Download a Disbursement Request

Download Disbursement Request for Adobe Pro

How do I pay a vendor?

Read the Accounts Payable Guidance section for information on check run schedule, additional documentation requirements, submission deadline, and submission instructions.

Upon receipt of a vendor invoice, the budget manager (designated signer) verifies that the goods and/or services have been received. The budget manager requires the following information in the Invoice Voucher:

  • Name of Vendor (Payee) and address
  • Date invoice was received
  • Date of invoice
  • Total invoice amount
  • Organization and Account numbers
  • Description of purchase/services

Complete an invoice voucher. The budget manager must sign the invoice voucher approving payment and print their name where indicated. The signer is responsible to verify that the department budget is adequate to pay the invoice.

Download an Invoice Voucher

How do I pay an independent contractor?

Read the Accounts Payable Guidance section for information on check run schedule, additional documentation requirements, submission deadline, and submission instructions.

Independent contractors are vendors who perform services for the college but are not employees of the college. They include many occupations where the worker is considered self-employed. It is important that the college make the correct determination as to whether the person is an independent contractor, or should be paid as an employee.

The compensation paid to independent contractors is taxable. Accounts Payable does not withhold taxes from the payments. The income is reported to the recipient and to the IRS at the end of each tax year on Form 1099.

In order to make a check payment to an independent contractor, complete a Disbursement Request or Invoice Voucher.

In addition to the payment request, please attach a Form W-9 and a Personal Services Agreement(PSA) that has been completed and signed by the contractor. The W-9 form provides the tax identification number (TIN) of the contractor and certifies that the TIN is correct and that the contractor is not subject to backup withholding. Information on the Personal Services Agreement (PSA) can be found on the Risk Management Website

Download a W-9 Form

International Independent Contractors

If the individual is from a foreign country, please contact the business office as soon as you decide to contract services. It takes several weeks to complete the paperwork necessary to pay nonresident aliens. You will need to complete a Form 8233 and a W-7.

The Form 8233 is used by non resident alien individuals to claim exemption from withholding on compensation for personal services because of an income tax treaty or the personal exemption amount. The W-7 is used to apply for an IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). An ITIN is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required for U.S. tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a social security number (SSN). Read the directions for 8233 and directions for W-7 or contact the business office for more help.

Download Form 8233

Download a W-7 Form