Double-Sided PrintingIRC Computers are enabled to print double-sided by default. You may send double-sided print jobs directly.
Windows XP, Vista and 7
Mac OS X
Enabling double-sided printing in Windows
- Open Start> Settings> Control Panel, and double-click Printers and Faxes (Devices and Printers in Windows 7). Right-click on the printer you would like to print double-sided from and select Properties from the menu (In Windows 7, right click on the printer and select Printer Properties)
- In the Properties window, select the Device Settings tab. Scroll down to Installable Options and click on the plus button next to it. Click on the drop-down menu beside Duplex Unit and select Installed. Click on Apply and then on Ok.
You are ready to exit Control Panel and print double-sided on the selected printer.
Sending double-sided print jobs in WindowsOnce you have opened the document you want to print, follow these easy steps:
- From the menu bar, go to File> Print...
- In the Print dialog window, click on the Properties on your top-right.
- In the Properties window, select the Finishing tab. Under Document Options, check the option to Print On Both Sides.
- Click OK, check other settings like print range and number of copies, then click on Print.
Enabling double-sided printing in OS 10.6.x and above
- Go to System Preferences.
- Select Print and Fax.
- On the left panel, select the printer you wish to print double-sided from.
- Click on Options and Supplies.
- Select the tab Driver.
- Click on the checkbox next to Duplex Unit.
- If you do not find this option, click on the dropdown next to Print Using and click on Select a driver to use.
- Type HP in the searchbox, then scroll down and select the correct printer model number. Find this information on the front panel of the printer or on our Printer Model page for either students or faculty.
- Click on OK then click on the checkbox next to Duplex Unit.
- Click on OK and you are ready to print double-sided on the selected printer.
Sending double-sided prints in Mac OS X
Once you have opened the document you want to print, follow these easy steps:
- From the menu bar, select File> Print.
- In the Print dialog box, click on the third pop-up menu that shows Copies & Pages by default, and select Layout.
- Under Two Sided Printing, select Long-Edge Binding.
- After you have selected other preferences such as the number of copies, click on Print.
The Duplexer unit
Most printers on campus come with the duplexer unit which makes double-sided printing possible. If the printer near you does not have this unit and you need to print double-sided, please email CUS to request one. Here is a way to make sure that your printer is physically capable of printing double-sided:
- Turn your printer around so you are looking at the back of it.
- Look for a box-like, protruding attachment that makes the printer look something like this:
- If your printer has this unit, it is duplex enabled.