Checklist for Taking a Leave from Reed
As you prepare for your leave, please review the following list of tasks and make necessary plans to complete these steps before your departure. Depending on your status and involvements, some of these tasks may not apply to you. Please contact the Student Life Office if you have any questions about the tasks included on this list.
- Complete the Leave of Absence or Medical Leave of Absence process and form
- Meet with your faculty adviser to discuss your leave and plan for returning. See Questions to Ask Your Faculty Adviser.
- Contact Ben Bradley in the Registrar’s Office (email@example.com, 503/777-7295, Eliot 311) if you plan to take classes at another institution while you are away
- If you are taking a leave effective during the semester, review Reed's tuition refund policy.
Borrowed Materials or Spaces
- Return books and any loaned equipment to the Library
- Return any keys checked out in your name to Physical Plant
- Return any rented books to the Reed Bookstore
- Clean and return any laboratory equipment
- Clean out your locker at the Library
- Clean your thesis desk or office
- Clean out your locker at the Sports Center and return the lock to the Cage
- Pick up any remaining mail and packages from your mailbox and Mailroom
- Update your IRIS account with a forwarding mail address
- Pay any remaining balances on your Business Office account and Reed Bookstore account
- Consult the Business Office if you have any questions about when your student health insurance will end
If you live on-campus:
- Review information for moving out of on-campus housing
- If you are signed up in the Housing Lottery, contact Residence Life to cancel your housing contract
- Remove your bike if stored on-campus
- Confirm any boxes you have in on-campus storage will not expire before your return
- Optional: Notify your roommate, HA and/or AC
If you are a recipient of Financial Aid:
- Consult with Financial Aid about how your leave or medical leave may affect your aid package or repayment plan
- Complete the required exit loan counseling with Financial Aid
If you work on-campus:
- Notify your campus employer(s) of your leave from the college. Note: You must stop working as of the date of your leave.
- Complete your final timesheet for the Business Office
If you are an international student:
- Meet with the program director for International Student Services (firstname.lastname@example.org, (503) 517-5538, GCC 104) to discuss your visa program status
- Notify your host family, if applicable
- Resign from campus committees, student groups and/or club sports teams
- If you have any pending or outstanding sanctions from the Judicial Board, Title IX Board, Temporary Hearing Board, Administrative Committee, or AOD Review Panel, consult with systems coordinator Kelsey Wirtzfeld in the Student Life office (email@example.com, 503/788-6640, Eliot 218) about how your leave may impact your sanction requirements and deadlines. Failure to do so may result in a hold being placed on your account which will prevent you from registering for classes when you feel ready to return, or, in some circumstances, an indefinite continuation of exclusion from campus and Reed-affiliated events.