Student Life Office

Questions to Ask Your Faculty Adviser about Taking a Leave

In addition to meeting with a dean in Student Life, you are required to consult with your faculty adviser if you plan to take a leave or withdraw from the college. The purpose of this conversation is to help you understand how your leave may affect your academic plans and if relevant, help you better prepare for your return. If you do not know who your faculty adviser is, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

If you are uncertain about whether taking a leave is the best option for you, you could talk to your faculty adviser about alternatives to taking a leave.

Questions to Discuss

Academic standing

  • What is my current academic status and what will it be when I return?
  • How will my leave be recorded on my academic transcript?

Graduation requirements

  • Can you give me an update on my current progress toward graduation?
  • What graduation requirements will I still need to fulfill when I return?
  • How will taking a leave affect my anticipated graduation date?

Activities or tasks to complete while away

  • Should I consider taking classes while on leave and transferring them back to Reed? If so, what would you recommend I take?
  • Is there anything you think I should do while on leave to get ready for my upcoming academic responsibilities?

Preparing to return

  • Are there advantages to returning in the fall or the spring semester, given the major or graduation requirements I still need to fulfill?
  • If you are a rising junior: When I return, when will I be able to take the Junior Qualifying Exam?
  • If you are thesising: Can I resume my thesis work when I return?
  • Do you anticipate still being at Reed when I return? If not, how can I find a new faculty adviser?

Depending on your situation, you may also want to ask your faculty adviser about withdrawing from a year-long class, petitioning for a variation on your senior year when you return, or other topics relevant to your academic situation and goals.

If you plan to take classes at another institution while you are on your leave:

You can take classes at another institution during your leave of absence. You should submit a completed Transfer of Credit form, available from the Registrar's Office, before enrolling at another institution. This enables students to know whether and how the course or courses will apply to the Reed degree.

You must request that an official transcript be sent to Reed from all institutions attended during the time away, even if credit is not requested. You must submit a completed transfer credit form to the Registrar's Office before the work can be evaluated for transfer credit.

If you are a recipient of financial aid, please check with Financial Aid to determine whether there are any financial aid implications for taking classes while on leave.