Tuition Refund Policy
Reed College Tuition Refund Policy
Students who take a leave of absence or officially withdraw through the Dean of Students’ Office (or through the MALS office for graduate students) may receive a refund of tuition and certain fees.
No refund shall be made to students who have been suspended or dismissed from the college.
Failure to initiate and/or complete the institutional leave or withdrawal process will result in zero tuition refund.
Visit the leaves and withdrawals web page for more information about the process.
The refund policy applies to all undergraduate and graduate students who withdraw, take a regular leave of absence, or take a medical leave of absence, whether or not they have federal Title IV financial aid.
In the instance of an approved withdrawal or leave during a semester:
- Tuition, room, and board base is refunded based on the refund schedule below and the effective date as determined by the college.
- Unused board points will be refunded.
- The student body fee is non-refundable.
- Health insurance not waived:
- Fall and spring semester:
- If you have not attended at least 30 days of a semester, the premium will be refunded and the coverage canceled for the entire coverage period.
- If you have attended at least 30 days of a semester, the premium will not be refunded and you will continue to be covered for the term.
- Note regarding spring semester: If you were covered by Reed health insurance in the fall and are on a medical leave of absence the following spring semester, you have the option to purchase Reed health insurance coverage for spring. You must submit your request to purchase the spring insurance by email to the business office before January 31st.
- Fall and spring semester:
- Tuition insurance not waived will be refunded if the leave is effective before the third week of classes.
- Financial aid recipients earn their aid as the semester progresses. When a federal aid recipient takes a leave of absence or withdraws, a pro rata schedule is used to determine the federal aid funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal.
- Non-federal financial aid, including but not limited to Reed grants, state grants, private loans etc., will be refunded according to the refund schedule below.
- Outside scholarships will be refunded according to instructions received from the issuing agency, if provided.
- Students who do not earn any credits and do not take a leave of absence or withdraw, will have their Title IV aid re-calculated from the mid-point of the semester, or the last date of an academically related activity verified by Reed even though they would not qualify for a tuition refund.
No deviations from the refund schedule will be made except in extreme cases, of which the college shall be the sole judge.
REFUND SCHEDULE FOR LEAVES OF ABSENCE AND WITHDRAWALS
The leave/withdrawal effective date determines the refund %.
||% Title IV Aid Earned*
Fall/spring break does not count as a week in the schedule above.