Health and Counseling Services

Division of Student Life

Local Hospitals and Urgent Care Clinics

Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
5.22 miles; driving time 16 min.
Providence Portland Medical Clinic
4805 NE Glisan Street
4.04 miles; driving time 13 min.
Providence Milwaukie Hospital
10150 SE 32nd Avenue, Milwaukie
3.16 miles; driving time 10 min.

Please note: The hospitals listed above work with Reed student insurance. The reimbursement rate will be 60–80 percent.

Adventist Medical Center
10123 SE Market Street
5.59 miles; driving time 15 min.
Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital
1015 NW 22nd Avenue
5.64 miles; driving time 17 min.
Legacy Emanuel Hospital
2801 N Gantenbein
5.95 miles; driving time 17 min.
Kaiser-Sunnyside (Kaiser patients only)
10180 SE Sunnyside Road, Clackamas
6.73 miles; driving time 15 min.

Urgent Care Clinics

ZoomCare Woodstock (0.7 miles away)
4415 SE Woodstock Blvd. 
Portland, OR, 97206
Monday–Friday 9am–7pm
Weekends 9am-6pm 
ZoomCare Sellwood (1.1 miles away)
6910 SE Milwaukie Ave.
Portland, OR, 97202
Monday–Friday 8am-6pm
Weekends 9am-6pm
ZoomCare Hawthorne (3 miles away)
3325 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97214
Monday–Friday 7am-12am
Weekends 9am–6pm
Providence Gateway Immediate Care
1321 NE 99th Ave, suite 100
Portland, OR 97220
Everyday 7am-7pm

Please note that reimbursement at urgent cares significantly vary. Please call the urgent care and ask about insurance before you go.

Urgent Care/Emergency Medical Attention FAQs

What do I do if I need emergency medical attention?
In the event of an life-threatening emergency, illness, or injury dial 911 to call an ambulance for transport (or 9-911 from a campus phone); notify Community Safety if you are on campus (0 from a campus phone); if an ambulance is called, Community Safety can guide it to your location.

How do I get to the hospital?
In the event of an life-threatening emergency, illness, or injury dial 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) to call an ambulance for transport; notify Community Safety if you did not use a campus phone to place the 911 call (503-788-6666); Community Safety can guide the ambulance to your location. All campus phones used to call 911 automatically notify Community Safety that the call has been made.

If the situation is not an emergency, but you need to go to the hospital, you can call Community Safety directly at 503-788-6666. They can arrange to have a cab pick you up and bill it to your student account. Community Safety also has maps to the local hospitals. You can also call Radio Cab yourself at 503-227-1212.

How do I decide whether to go to the hospital?
We always recommend that people make their health a priority. Sometimes that requires immediate medical care that can only be obtained at a hospital. If you have a life-threatening injury or illness, call 911 for an ambulance. If you use a personal cell phone, also call Community Safety at 503-788-6666 so that an officer can direct an ambulance to your location. If you are uncertain if immediate care is needed, call the HCC during business hours 503-777-7281 or Community Care line 800-607-5501 after hours for advice about appropriate treatment.

What should I expect when I get to the hospital?
Upon arrival at the emergency department (ED), you will be triaged based on the urgency of your medical need. Your wait to see a clinician will depend on the others who are waiting and the urgency of their medical needs. Be prepared to wait.

Once you've been assessed, you may be treated in the ED and released, admitted to the hospital, or sent to an observation unit where medical staff can monitor your status until it's clear that you should either be admitted or released. If admitted, you will most likely be moved out of the ED to one of the units in the hospital.

In order for the HCC to give and receive medical information (important for your treatment at the hospital and for follow up care) the hospital staff will ask for a  release of information (ROI) for the HCC. They may also need an ROI in order to inform your family or other designated emergency contact of your presence and condition at the hospital.

What should I bring?
Bring your ID, insurance card and information, money, a change of clothes, important telephone numbers, your telephone and charger, your laptop, and something to do while you wait.

Can someone come with me?
Yes. It can be helpful to have someone who can advocate for you and who can help you remember medical instructions. That person can also call friends and family for you and keep those you care about you informed.

What happens after I am released?
The HCC will coordinate with the hospital to help you obtain appropriate follow-up care for your condition. That care may be provided at the HCC or by a community-based specialist to whom you have been referred. Remember to list the Reed Health and Counseling Center as your PCP so that we will be faxed records of your hospital visit.

Are there alternatives to the hospital?
The HCC can provide primary care services Monday–Friday, 9a.m.–5 p.m. during regular academic sessions. Local urgent care providers, like ZoomCare, can assess and treat many urgent, but not life-threatening, conditions. In general, it is most cost effective and fastest to go to an urgent care facility rather than going to the hospital.

Always remember to tell outside facilities that the Reed Health and Counseling Center is your home clinic and provide them with the name of the provider helping you so that your records are faxed to us.