Health and Counseling Services

Division of Student Life

Counseling Services

Please join members of our counseling staff for workshops on the following topics below. For more information about each workshop, please click here.

Thriving In Transition

CALM: An Anxiety and Worry Toolkit

Mindfulness and Meditation: Improve the Quality of Your Relaxation, Sleep, Concentration, and Creativity

Managing Emotions When Sh*t Hits the Fan

Helping Friends in Distress

How to Navigate Grief and Loss

Your Reed experience can lead to deep intellectual and personal growth. Sometimes, however, positive experiences can be mixed with feelings of distress or self-doubt as you face a myriad of personal, social, familial, and academic challenges. The HCC is a safe, confidential place for you to talk about any issues: stress, loneliness, cultural adjustment, relationships, depression, identity, or managing a mental health concern, to name a few. In addition to counselors, the HCC staff includes psychiatric providers who can help you with medication evaluations and ongoing care.

What we do:

  • Provide brief individual counseling for students struggling with depression, anxiety, relationship issues, sadness, grief, loneliness, identity, and other personal concerns
  • Talk with you about resources available to you both on and off campus
  • Provide referrals to counseling and/or psychiatry services in the Portland community, if needed
  • Adjustment to college
  • Crisis support

After learning more about you, we may recommend:

  • Ongoing supportive counseling
  • Short-term case management/support
  • Mental health medication management
  • Group counseling


  • Perform psychological testing or IQ testing
  • Provide court-ordered evaluations or treatment
  • Authorize emotional support, or services animals
  • Share information about you without your written consent