Installing and Using PaperCut Printers
- Student Printer IP Addresses
- Mac OS X Setup Instructions
- Windows 7/8/10 Setup
- Linux Setup
- ChromeOS Setup
- Releasing Your Print Job (Mac, Win, Linux)
Follow the instructions below to setup our Papercut print queues onto your computer. When you release your print job, you will be able to choose which of the campus printers you want to send it to.
Printer Name: Student Black and White Printer Queue
Model: HP Laserjet 4250
Duplex Supprt: Yes
Printer Name: Student Color Printer Queue
Model: HP Color Laserjet CP4020-CP4520
Duplex Supprt: Yes
- Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferenes > Printer and Scanners
- Click the "+" button to add a new printer.
- Select either the "Student-BW-Printers" or "Student-Color-Printers" printer from the list that appears.
- Click the Add button.
- From the Installable Options window, check the Duplex Unit box.
- You are ready to print using this print queue! Now see our instructions below for releasing your print job.
If you are using Windows 7 or higher, follow these instructions to manually install the printer:
- Navigate to the "Devices and Printers" section in your "Control Panel".
- In the top bar of the window, click the "Add Printer" button.
NOTE: If you're using Windows 7, it may be necessary to click "Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer" on the resulting popup screen.
- You should see a "Searching for printers..." window. We don't want any of these printers; click "The printer that I want isn't listed".
- THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: Choose the "Select a shared printer by name" option. Do NOT choose to add a printer by TCP/IP name or any other method. In the adjacent box to this option, enter one of our printer addresses listed above, and click "Next".
- Another popup window should appear, this time asking for you to choose the appropriate drivers for the printer. Choose a driver and click "OK".
Here are the driver selections we recommend that should work for the majority of printers on campus:
HP LaserJet 4250: "HP -> HP LaserJet 4200 PCL 6" (Windows 7) or "HP -> HP LaserJet 4200/4300 PCL6 Class Driver" (Windows 8/10)
HP LaserJet P4014: "HP -> HP LaserJet P4014/P4015 PCL6" (Windows 7) or "HP -> HP LaserJet P4014/P4015 PCL6 Class Driver" (Windows 8/10)
NOTE: For a special printer whose model is not listed as one of the two options above, please find the appropriate driver that relatively matches its name.
- At this point, the wizard should have successfully added the printer! There is no need to enable any sharing options for the printer (and is probably best not to).
- Now see our instructions below for releasing your print job.
- Go to System Settings > Printers.
- Click the green Add button
- Select Enter URI, and enter either ipp://papercut-1.reed.edu:631/printers/Student-BW-Printers or ipp://papercut-1.reed.edu/printers/Student-Color-Printers. It is important to use ipp:// to begin the device URI.
- Click Forward, and you will be asked to describe your printer.
- Move forward through the Installable items menu, making sure that the duplexer is installed.
- Your printer should be setup. To confirm, go to System Settings > Printers and double click on the printer you just installed and make sure that the information looks similar to the screenshot below.
- Download the CUPS/IPP Printing plugin from the following link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipp-cups-printing-for-chr/lkhfeoafdgbaecajkdbioenncjopbpmk?hl=en-GB
- Once the plugin is installed, hit the icon on the top right of your chrome tab and select the manage printers button in the window that appears.
- In the add/edit printer section that appears, write either of the student printers addresses (BW or Color) in the IPP address field. Then, give it a name and hit save.
- When printing your job, make sure to select the listing that reads "IPP/CUPS printer," rather than the option for Student-BW or Student-Color that usually appears. You should now be able to release your job from the server (see below).
After printing your document, you must release your print job from the web.
- Go to http://printing.reed.edu.
- Click on Jobs Pending Release.
- Under the Action column, click the Print link for the job you wish to print.
NOTE: You may see jobs other than your own on this page. This behavior is normal. Once you hit print, the job will be sent to the printer indicated and your account will be charged.
- If printing to a group of printers (ie, Library North Ref, Library Reading Room), you must then select a particular printer from that group.