Getting started with Google Groups
This page will help you get started with Google Groups at Reed. Google Groups are replacing Mailman Lists.
You can use Google Groups to send emails to your list, but it also has the ability for you to share documents or calendar events with your group!
If your question isn't answered here, you can explore Google's help pages. For help with using and managing groups, see below.
- Finding Groups
- Using Google Group Email
- Editing Notifications
- Managing Your Google Group
- Adding Members to Your Google Group
- Changing Roles of Members
- Adding non-Reed Emails to Google Group
- Changing Moderation Settings
- Changing Posting Permissions
- Approving or Rejecting Posts
- Editing a Subject Prefix
- Adding Group to Public Directory
You can find the list of publicly-indexed, existing groups at
You can view all the groups you belong to at groups.reed.edu.
Note: Only members with Reed email addresses will be able to view the group web page (Members with non-Reed email addresses are only able to receive/send messages to the group from their subscribed email address).
You can edit the frequency with which you receive updates from the group. To do so, go to groups.reed.edu and find the group you want to edit in the list of your groups in the main window. Click the edit button next to your username. In the pop up window, select a delivery frequency under Email Delivery Preference.
In order to manage your group, go to groups.reed.edu, find the group you wish to manage, and then click Manage under the group name.
While in the manage mode for your group, you have the option of Inviting Members or Directly Adding Members, both of which can be found on the left sidebar under the Members link. Inviting members gives them the option of accepting your invitation to join the group, while directly adding members will automatically add them to the groups. Outstanding Invitations allows you to view invitations you have sent, the invitation status, and the date the invitation was sent. Join Requests allows you to view and either approve or deny requests to join the group.
Note: Direct adding of members is disabled if Google profiles are required for membership. To turn off the Google profile requirement, go to Settings -> Identity on the left. In the main window, select "Display profile name only" or "Either display profile name or Google profile" and click the save button on top.
If you would like a member of your group to have moderator abilities, you can do so by changing their role. Under Members --> All Members check the name of the person you would like to change the role of. At the top, click Actions --> Add to role --> Manager.
In order to add non-Reed addresses as members, the Google Group needs to have the correct permission. If you are trying to add a non-Reed address and encounter an error, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-777-7525 and we can change the permission for you.
If you would like to change whether posts are moderated, you can change it under Settings --> Moderation --> Moderate Messages.
You can edit permissions for who may join or submit a request to join the group under Permissions -> Basic Permissions on the left. Under Join the group in the main window, select one or more of the following options:
- Public - Anyone can join the group
- Anyone in the organization - Anyone with a @reed.edu email address can join the group
- Only invited users - Only people who receive an invitation from owners or managers can join the group
- Anyone can ask - Anyone can send a request to join the group
- Anyone in the organization can ask - Anyone with a @reed.edu email address can send a request to join the group
There is also an option "Allow new users not in groups.reed.edu". If this option is enabled, users can be added to, invited to, or request to join with non-Reed email addresses.
You can approve posts or deny them before they appear to the group. If a post is not approved within 7 days, it will be deleted. Message moderation must be on before posts can be approved or blocked.
- Click My Groups.
- Choose a group.
- Near the top right, click Settings Manage messages.
- To read a post, click the title.
- Check the box next to the post.
- At the top of the screen, select an option:
- To approve the message, click Post
- To approve the post and automatically approve all future posts by that author, click Trust .
- To ban the author or authors from the forum and report the message as spam, click Spam
- To block the post, click Remove
If you would like a message to have a prefix in the subject line, you can edit the setting under Settings --> Email Options.
If you would like your list to be available in the public directory for other Reed members to find, you can change that by going to Information --> Directory.