Safety Guidelines for Traveling Abroad
Please keep the following tips in mind when traveling out of the country. These tips are also good for general travel.
- When possible, leave all electronic devices at home (laptop, cell phone, etc).
- If you must take your Reed computer, talk to CUS about borrowing loaner equipment to limit the amount of data you take.
- Avoid using computers in cyber cafes or hotel business centers.
- Assume anything you do over the Internet will be intercepted (even if the link is encrypted).
- Change your Reed password (and any other password you intend to use abroad) before leaving. Then change those passwords again when you return.
- Check for current warnings or advisories for the specific area you will be traveling.
- When traveling to certain countries (China, Russia, and others), it is advisable to not use VPN software. Doing so may not actually secure your connection, and may instead draw unwanted attention.
- Cyber Security Tips from the FCC
- Cyber Security Tips for Business Travelers
- How to Protect your Personal Data
- General Travel Tips from US-CERT