Student Life Office

Parent Access to Reed Student Information

Reed College values the accuracy and security of student record information. Students enrolled at a U.S. college or university have certain rights under federal law regarding their information. Generally speaking, the rights parents had to student records in secondary education transfer to the student in higher education.

Under FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), college students may in most cases determine who will receive information about them. As Reed has implemented its policies in line with FERPA, parents who want to receive a copy of their student’s educational records can generally do so only if their student signs a release form.

Reed College believes it is important for parents and students to make a mutually acceptable arrangement regarding academic progress. Students and parents are asked in advance of the student's first semester of enrollment whether the parents can be provided information about the student's academic standing. Parents can submit a written request to this effect, and the college will not release information without the student's written consent. If the student or parent wishes to change the status of this release, a new form must be filed in the registrar's office with the signatures of the parent(s) (or guardian(s), hereafter referred to as parents) and the student.

The college strongly encourages students and parents to have a discussion concerning the release of information. For more information about Reed College policy related to access to student records, see

Frequently Asked Questions About Access to Student Academic Records

How can I get a copy of my student’s grades?

Typically the simplest way for parents to receive information about their student’s grades, current academic action, or other student information is for the student to provide the information directly.

If I’m paying for my child’s education, why can’t I get a copy of his/her records?

If parent and student have both signed the release allowing the parent direct access, the parent may request a copy of the student’s grades. If there is no form on file, the student must in most cases give explicit written permission in order for records to be released.

Are there release forms that would give me access to grades?

The student academic information release form is available at

My student provided me with access to his/her grades. Can you e-mail a copy of his/her transcript?

In order to ensure the security of student records, generally the College does not release private information over the phone or by e-mail.

My student provided me with access to his/her grades. Will I receive a copy of his/her grades automatically?

The College does not send grades automatically. Parents may request a copy of the student’s grades by sending a signed letter or fax to the registrar’s office.

If I have been given access to grades, can I have access to my student’s medical and counseling records?

FERPA regulations protect a student’s education records, which include records related to the student’s education experience. The student academic information release form allows access only to final semester grades and academic actions (i.e. probation, denial of registration and dismissal). Access to physical and mental health records is governed by other College policies, federal law, and professional ethics. Professionals working in these areas will not release student information without specific written consent from the student, and/or in case of an extreme emergency (see below). Students can choose to release information from these records to a third party, but they may want to release information on a case-by-case basis.

Will I be contacted if my student is sick or hurt? What if my child is in academic trouble, or facing disciplinary action?

In most cases, the College will not contact parents or provide medical, academic, or disciplinary information without the student’s permission. In the case of an extreme emergency, where the student’s health is in serious jeopardy, or if there is a concern that the student poses a threat to herself or to someone else, the College may contact parents. As a general guideline, if the student is able to communicate about the situation, it is up to the student to decide whether and how to discuss the issues.

Isn’t there a FERPA provision that allows colleges and universities to contact parents if a student violates alcohol or drug policies?

FERPA regulations allow, but do not require, higher education institutions to provide notice to parents when a student violates federal, state or local laws related to alcohol or drugs. In general, Reed College does not release this information without the student’s consent.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department’s Web site for additional information: For more information about Reed College policy related to access to student records, see