International Student Services

Division of Student Life

International Student Certification of Finances

As an international student, you will be required to attend Reed on an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

After admission, in order for Reed to provide you with the documents you need to obtain a student visa, you must complete an International Student Certification of Finances form and include supporting documentation. We also ask for a copy of the biographical page of your passport so that we can issue your travel documents correctly.

In compliance with U.S. immigration regulations, Reed College can only issue an I-20 or DS-2019 eligibility form once an admitted student has demonstrated proof of financial support for anticipated educational and living expenses incurred during study in the United States. All students who plan to attend Reed College in F-1 or J-1 status are required to complete and return this form along with supporting documents before an I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued.

As you complete the form, you will be expected to demonstrate that you have the funds readily available for one year of Reed’s tuition and fees.

To submit your documents to ISS:

  • Complete the International Student Certification of Finances form and attach any applicable supporting financial documents (see the FAQ for explanation).
  • Take a photo or scan of the biographical page of your passport.
  • Name all files with your given name and family name included. As an example, "Jane Doe_COF.pdf".
  • Upload files through the Reed College International Student Services secure document submission portal
  • International Student Services will be alerted of your file upload and will follow-up within a few business days to confirm receipt or to request further information. 

This proof of financial support is required for all international students (intended F-1 or J-1 visas), whether you will receive financial aid or not. Failure to submit this form in a timely manner could result in delays in receiving your visa documents. Please direct any questions about the Certification of Finances to the International Student Services office at

FAQ: International Student Certification of Finances

How should I complete the form if I am on Financial Aid?

Once you receive and accept your financial aid award, you will only be expected to show the remaining funds you and your family are expected to contribute. Take the total annual amount of Reed’s tuition and fees and subtract your Reed grants, loans, and on-campus employment work award. We will include your Reed financial aid and work awards on your I-20 or DS-2019.

What supporting documentation should I include?

Documentation could include a copy of bank statements, a letter of verification from the bank, bank letterhead, an official letter of support from a sponsor, or confirmation of a scholarship.

How soon can I receive my I-20 or DS-2019?

ISS typically begins issuing I-20s and DS-2019s to new students in early May. We understand this year that students are eager to start their visa application process as early as possible due to the ongoing disruption to U.S. visa services. Beginning in mid-March, ISS will be able to begin issuing electronic I-20s to students admitted for the Fall semester. Turnaround time will depend on staff capacity during the sprind semester. Once we receive your financial support documents, ISS will review and can issue an electronic I-20 by email that you can use to make your visa appointment and apply for your F-1 visa. Read more about how to apply for your visa here

Student (F) visas for new students can be issued up to 120 days in advance of the start date for a course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States on your student visa more than 30 days before the start date.

ISS will begin sending further information about getting started after May 18th.