Writing and Engagement Support for English Language Learners and International Students
Offerings for International Students from Dustin Simpson
Dustin is a member of the Reed faculty (Humanities 110), and also the English Language Learner Specialist. He has worked with international students in a variety of capacities, on and off, since 1997. Below you will find a description of the non-credit workshops and tutoring that Dustin is offering this semester.
Both of the resources below will be available during the remainder of Spring 2020 online! Contact Dustin with any questions.
Humanities 110 English Conversation Group
Online via Zoom (link to come)
In this weekly meeting, we will discuss the readings and lectures for the week. The main objective is to encourage students to practice conference-style discussion. This “mock Hum conference” has an easy-going atmosphere. Students are welcome to attend whenever they choose. Secondary objectives are listed below.
- Helping students to deepen their understanding of texts on the syllabus
- Reviewing critical vocabularies provided in Hum lectures
- Discussing challenges of conference-style learning
- Discussing paper topics right after they are distributed
Remotely By Appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org)Would you like to get some language-focused feedback on a rough draft of a paper? Would you like someone to help you work through your ideas so you can kick-start your process? Would you like to review a paper you have already turned in and gotten feedback on from your professor? Or would you like to work on discussing the readings in a more private and deliberate way? Dustin can help you. Send him an email to make an appointment.
- Keep in mind that a lot of students want to meet during the week before a Hum paper is due. Get in the habit of starting your papers early!