Coaching for English Language Learners: Academic Writing, Reading, Speaking, and Listening
Offerings for International and English-Language-Learning Students from Dustin Simpson
Dustin is a member of the Reed faculty (Humanities 110), and also the English Language Learner Specialist. He has worked with international and English-language-learning students in a variety of capacities, on and off, since 1997. Below you will find a description of the non-credit workshops and tutoring that Dustin is offering this semester.
Humanities 110 English Conversation Group
Online via Zoom (email email@example.com for the Zoom link)
In this weekly meeting, we will discuss the readings and lectures for the week. The main objective is to encourage students to practice conference-style discussion. This “mock Hum conference” has an easy-going atmosphere. Students are welcome to attend whenever they choose. Secondary objectives are listed below.
- Helping students to deepen their understanding of texts on the syllabus
- Reviewing critical vocabularies provided in Hum lectures
- Discussing challenges of conference-style learning
- Discussing paper topics right after they are distributed
Remotely By Appointment (click here to make an appointment)Would you like to get some language-focused feedback on a rough draft of a paper? Would you like someone to help you work through your ideas so you can kick-start your process? Would you like to review a paper you have already turned in and gotten feedback on from your professor? Or would you like to work on discussing the readings in a more private and deliberate way? Dustin can help you. Send him an email to make an appointment.
- Keep in mind that a lot of students want to meet during the week before a Hum paper is due. Get in the habit of starting your papers early!