International Student Services

Division of Student Life

Filing Taxes

As an international student in the U.S., you need to understand the tax requirements of your visa and your filing obligations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

All international students and scholars, regardless of whether they have worked on campus, must file tax documents. U.S. tax filing is generally due on April 15th.

In February, ISS provides instructions about the tax filing process for students and scholars. Please watch your email for more information. ISS arranges for free access to Sprintax Returns, which will guide you through the tax preparation process, prepare the necessary documents, and even check if you are due a refund. Sprintax Returns is a federal and state tax preparation software for nonresidents. The software allows you to file your 8843 and federal documents at no charge to you. There are fees from $34.95 to use the software for your state forms. To receive your free filing, use the code available in the email sent to you. The software guides you through the completion and submission of the forms.

This Sprintax resource provides a helpful overview of the process

This information is not a substitute for the advice of a qualified tax professional. Reed staff cannot prepare your taxes for you or answer specific questions about your tax obligations. We encourage you to contact an expert tax preparer if you have particular questions about your tax-filing responsibility. Local tax professionals can be found online.


Do I need to file tax documents?

Yes. All nonresidents must file one or more tax forms every year that they are present in the United States regardless of whether they had any income.

What documents do I need to file my taxes?

You will need some or all of the documents noted below pertaining to your visa and your legal status in the United States. The visa-related documents include your passport and your I-20 or DS-2019. The other documents may include your W-2 or 1042-S, your social security number, and your recent I-94(s).

If you earned taxable U.S. income in the previous year, you should receive documents in January or February that report the amount and type of income you earned. Documents you may receive include form W-2, 1042-S, and 1099.

What is Sprintax?

Sprintax is a web-based tax return preparation system designed exclusively for international students and scholars to aid their preparation of U.S. federal and state income tax forms, and the recommended option for students at Reed College filing state taxes.