International Student Services

Division of Student Life

Replacing Lost or Stolen Documents

Though we advise you to carefully store your documents in safe locations, loss or theft of documents can happen.

Here is some information about what to do when you are missing an important immigration document.

Lost I-20

The I-20 can be reprinted by a school official. Please contact ISS to get your I-20 replaced. Briefly describe your situation and what concerns or problems you have.

Lost Passport

First, you should file a police report. Go to the local police station and report your documents as lost or stolen. Provide the police with a copy of the original documents. ISS keeps electronic copies of your passport and visa, so check with them if you do not have your own copies. When you go to the police station, you will be issued a police report detailing the incident. Come by ISS and let Dana make a copy of your police report to keep on file.

Second, report your lost/stolen passport to your embassy. Find out where your nearest embassy is and, after determining next steps for replacing your passport, contact them with any questions. In some cases, students may be required to go in person to the embassy.

Third, report your visa as lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad that issued your visa. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to locate the needed email address and contact information. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, address in the U.S., and an email address. Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. Please email a copy of the passport and visa to them as well.

Lastly, you will need to apply for a replacement U.S. visa next time you go home. These cannot be replaced in the U.S. You must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa and include a copy of the police report.