Jeffrey Parker, Reed College
- January 24: Aggregate production functions
- January 25: Equation of motion for k in Solow model
- January 26: Golden rule in Solow model
- January 29: Solow model with natural resources
- January 31: Two-period budget constraint
- February 1: Consumption smoothing
- February 5: Ramsey model dynamics
- February 7: Government spending in the Ramsey model
- February 8: Assets in the overlapping-generations model
- February 12: Knowledge as a public good
- February 14: R&D model dynamics
- February 15: Learning by doing and human capital
- February 19: Human capital dynamics
- February 26: Budget constraint with labor
14.5 Preparation for February 28: RBC model effects
- March 1: Steady-state inflation
- March 5: AS-AD cycle basics (Note: Dates have been adjusted for these next four but not changed on actual assignment pdfs. The dates listed here are correct.)
- March 7: Multiplier
- March 8: IS-LM effects
- March 9 (optional): New Keynesian utility function
- March 19: New Keynesian LM curve
- March 21: Phillips curve
- March 22: Lucas model
- March 23 (optional): Solving the Lucas model
- March 26: Dixit-Stiglitz utility function
- March 28: Solving imperfect competition model
- March 29: Profit maximization and price adjustment
- April 2: Dynamic price setting
- April 4: Fischer model
- April 5: Taylor model
- April 9: Inflation inertia
- April 11: Unemployment definition
- April 12: Shapiro-Stiglitz model
- April 16: Decisions in the matching model
- April 18: Effects in the matching model
- April 23: Capital theory
- April 25: Adjustment cost model
- April 26: q model dynamics (last one)
Projects and Problems
Papers of the week
- January 31: Mankiw, N. Gregory, David Romer, and David N. Weil. 1992. A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth. Quarterly Journal of Economics 107 (2):407-37.
- February 7: Abramovitz, Moses. 1986. Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind. Journal of Economic History 46 (2):385-406.
- February 14: Barro, Robert J. 1987. Government Spending, Interest Rates, Prices, and Budget Deficits in the United Kingdom, 1701-1918. Journal of Monetary Economics 20 (2):221-47.
- February 21: Pritchett, Lant. 1997. "Divergence, Big Time." Journal of Economic Perspectives 11 (3):3-17.
- March 7: Shapiro, Matthew D. 1993. Cyclical Productivity and the Workweek of Capital. American Economic Review 83 (2):229-33.
- March 21: SELECT YOUR OWN PAPER
- March 28: Friedman, Milton. 1968. The Role of Monetary Policy. American Economic Review 58 (1):1-17.
- April 4: Ball, Laurence. 1994. What Determines the Sacrifice Ratio? In Monetary Policy, edited by N. Gregory Mankiw, 155-82. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.
- April 11: Sargent, Thomas J. 1982. The Ends of Four Big Inflations. In Inflation: Causes and Effects, edited by Robert E. Hall. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- April 18: SELECT YOUR OWN PAPER
- April 25: Akerlof, George A. 2007. The Missing Motivation in Macroeconomics. American Economic Review 97 (1):5-36.