Dean of Students’ Office


Students who plan to permanently depart from the College may do so by withdrawing. Withdrawals are typically processed before the start of a semester but a student may apply to withdrawal up until Week 10 of a semester.

Withdrawing is a big decision that can have academic, financial and personal implications. If you would like to speak with someone about your situation and options, please contact Student Services to schedule a meeting with a dean and review these alternatives to withdrawing. A dean in Student Services or your faculty adviser can talk to you more about these alternative options. You may also choose to consult medical or counseling staff at the HCC (if relevant), Financial Aid (if relevant), the Business Office, family, and other support resources to help you make a decision about whether withdrawing is the best option for your situation.

You are encouraged to continue to attend classes until you have made an official decision to withdraw to avoid falling behind on work if you do decide to remain enrolled for the semester.

To Withdraw

The Office of the VP & Dean of Student Services coordinates the Withdrawal process in collaboration with several partnering offices. If you need assistance or have general questions about withdrawing, please contact Student Services.

New as of Fall 2017, to take a leave of absence you must do the following:

  1. Review the Withdrawal FAQs
  2. Log into IRIS and select Request a Leave or Withdrawal
  3. Complete and submit the Withdrawal request form and survey
  4. Meet with a dean in Student Services
  5. Meet with your faculty adviser
  6. Move out of on-campus housing (if applicable)
  7. Satisfy any requests from the Business Office and Financial Aid (see below)

After you submit the form, Student Services will be notified of your intentions to withdraw. You will have five business days to meet with and/or receive confirmation from the following offices and individuals:

Student Services. Within one business day of submitting your request, the administrative coordinator for Student Services will email you to schedule you with an appointment with a dean in Student Services. You must meet with a dean before the following offices. Following this meeting, Student Services will confirm your meeting in IRIS. 

Your faculty adviser. See Questions to Ask Your Faculty Adviser about Withdrawing in preparation of the meeting. Following this meeting, your adviser will confirm your meeting in IRIS. 

Residence Life (if applicable). If you live in on-campus, Residence Life will automatically be notified of your intentions to withdraw. Students currently living in on-campus housing will have five business days after submitting their withdrawal request form to move out of housing. Students are encouraged to make arrangements to move out of on-campus housing as soon as they make a decision to withdraw. Please visit Moving Out of On-Campus Housing for more information.  

The Business Office. The Business Office may contact you to share information with you regarding your student account. The Business Office may request you meet with a representative before they can confirm your leave in IRIS. Please check your Reed email and respond to all requests. 

Financial Aid (if applicable). If you are a recipient of financial aid, you will automatically receive information from Financial Aid about how withdrawing may affect your financial aid or loans. Financial Aid may request you meet with a representative before they confirm your withdrawal in IRIS. Please check your Reed email and respond to all requests. 

If you do not have any unresolved issues with your student account, the Business Office and Financial Aid Office will confirm your request without you needing to take any additional actions. 

When you have satisfied all the requirements above, and the offices have confirmed your withdrawal in IRIS, the Registrar’s Office will remove you from any classes you are registered for the current semester and/or future semesters. You will then receive confirmation that your withdrawal is official and in effect. 

If you do not complete the steps outlined above within five business days, your withdrawal request will be canceled and you will remain enrolled. If you still intend to withdraw, you must contact the Dean of Students' Office to re-initiate your request with a new initiation date. A changed initiation date may affect your tuition refund or money owed. 


Students can withdraw before the semester at any time. We recommend students initiate their withdrawal and complete the required paperwork at least 3 weeks before the start of the semester to avoid any unnecessary billing or tuition charges.

If a student wants to initiate a withdrawal during the semester, they may do so any time before the Monday of Week 10 of the semester.

  • The deadline for Fall 2017: November 6, 2017
  • The deadline for Spring 2018: April 2, 2018

If you are a recipient of financial aid, please note that if you remain enrolled for more than 60% of the semester, you may lose a full semester of financial aid. The 60% of the semester mark typically falls a few days before the withdrawal deadline. Students receiving financial aid are encouraged to consult Financial Aid and contact Student Services before the end of Fall or Spring Break to initiate their withdrawal before the 60% deadline.

On-Campus Housing

Students who live on campus at the time they withdraw will have their room and board contract cancelled. Students have five business days to move out of housing after submitting their withdrawal request form in IRIS. Students will incur additional room charges if they do not move out within five business days. Please review Moving Out of On-Campus Housing for more information.

Returning to Reed

To return to Reed after withdrawing, the former student will need to apply for readmission through the Registrar’s Office to return. Please visit Readmission for more information, deadlines and instructions.


Please review the Withdrawal FAQs to learn more about the regulations for withdrawing. You are also encouraged to contact Student Services or any of the offices below if you want to discuss your specific situation.

Contact information:

Student Services: 503/517-7396 • • Eliot 218
Business Office: 503/777-7505 • • Eliot 308 
Registrar’s Office: 503/777-7793 • • Eliot 311
Financial Aid: 503/777-7223 • • Eliot 202
Residence Life: 503/777-7536 • • 28 West 

Additional Resources

Withdrawals FAQs
Alternatives to Withdrawing or Taking a Leave of Absence
Checklist for Withdrawing