Summer Opportunity Fellowship
The Summer Opportunity Fellowship provides funding for a student to pursue academic work with a mentor at another institution/lab for 10 weeks over the summer. The purpose of this program is to expose Reed students to new environments and opportunities not available on campus. This program is intended as a learning experience for the student and mentorship should be at the forefront of the project. Students must provide documentation of being accepted to work with a mentor at a distant institution/lab by the application deadline.
- 2017 awardee tested experimental compounds looking for a cure for ALS.
- 2017 awardee worked with a choreographer to create an AIDs survivor archive.
- 2016 awardee conducted atmospheric chemistry research at the Department of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University.
All majors are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Looking for funding to present your research at a conference: apply to the Opportunity grant.
- Narrative description of the project proposal including steps taken to find and secure the opportunity – two page, single-spaced maximum
- Evaluative letter from a faculty sponsor at Reed
- Sponsor letter from the proposed mentor. This letter should state the level of mentorship the student can expect to receive (can be emailed directly to Jolie Griffin at email@example.com)
The Reed faculty sponsor must review the entire grant application and provide an evaluative letter of support, which can be emailed directly to Jolie Griffin, URC Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only proposals from students in good academic standing at the College will be considered. Preference will be given to students returning to Reed the following fall, however, applications involving graduating seniors may also be considered.
Fellowship award amount: $5,000
After the Undergraduate Research Committee has made award decisions, applicants will be notified by email. For more information on eligibility or any questions about the application process, applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Jolie Griffin (email@example.com).
Applications are due Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 12:00 p.m. The applicant will upload their Opportunity Fellowship application online. Link to upload Opportunity Fellowship application on IRIS.