National Institute of Standards in Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
This program will be entirely virtual for summer 2021
Setting a Course Toward a Career in Science or Engineering?
Spend your summer working elbow to elbow with researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), one of the world's leading research organizations and home to three Nobel Prize winners. Gain valuable hands-on experience in this SURF program, work with cutting-edge technology, meet peers from across the nation, sample the Gaithersburg, MD or Boulder, CO area. And get paid while you are learning: $5,500 for 11 weeks, or $500 per week (40 hours/week). Be a part of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program at NIST.
February 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM (Eastern time), or when they have received the application limit which may be sooner than the closing date.
Thus, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit the on-line application and supporting documents ahead of the announcement closing date.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Undergraduate status at time of application deadline.
- 3.0 or higher GPA is recommended.
- Must be considering pursuing graduate study.
- Students with physics, material science, chemistry, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering majors are always encouraged to apply. There may be research opportunities for students with other majors.
- Establish a mentor
- Learn how to communicate science
- Gain firsthand knowledge of working in a government research laboratory
- Increase professional networks with leading scientists and engineers
- Decide if a career in research is right for you and get paid to do so
- Flexibility; the fellowship can be conducted from any location in the U.S.A. for summer 2021
Apply directly to the program through their website, which will prompt you to first create a user-account via USAJobs.gov, if you have not already done so.
Opportunities are with two different NIST sites, and have separate applications: