Sexual Health, Advocacy & Relationship Education

If you are a faculty or staff member making an obligated report, click here.

Reporting sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, and stalking

Whether or not to report sexual misconduct to the college or law enforcement is an important decision for survivors. They may need resources and support, but have concerns about privacy and confidentiality. Some survivors are not interested in participating in an investigation, but want the college to be aware of what happened to them. Making a report is not the same as initiating a disciplinary process. 

Reporting is not necessary to get some kinds of support. Speaking with an advocate or counselor will not result in a Title IX report without a survivor's written permission. 

Faculty and some staff are obligated reporters, and must inform the Title IX coordinator if they receive information about potential violations of Title IX or the Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Misconduct policy. (See the Title IX page for more information on obligatory reporting.)

Once a report is made to the college, an investigation will take place even if the survivor asks that the matter not be pursued. The college will investigate all reports fairly and take steps to mitigate and remediate harm to the best of its ability (response to anonymous reports will be limited by the available information). Survivors may request that the college not share their name with the accused, but its ability to protect the survivor's confidentiality is limited by its obligation to take action to prevent further harm to the individual and community. Generally, the college will not contact law enforcement without the survivor's permission unless it is necessary to protect the individual or the campus. The college will assist survivors who wish to report to law enforcement. 

Reed encourages everyone to consider reporting sexual misconduct, relationship abuse, and stalking to the college, keeping the well-being and safety of the survivor in mind. Our employees receive training to ensure that survivors are supported and assisted in the reporting process, and we work with students to prepare them to support friends who disclose to them.

Types of reports

Online Report Form: Survivors can fill out the report form on Reed's website anonymously or not. The college may initiate a Title IX investigation, but it will be limited by the information available. 

Confidential reporting: Confidential resources on campus for students are health & counseling services staff,  SHARE advocates, and the program director for SHARE (Sexual Health, Advocacy & Relationship Education). Advocates are certified confidential with legal privilege in the state of Oregon. These confidential resources will not share information that can identify the survivor or accused with anyone else without the survivor’s permission, unless the survivor discloses abuse of a child or intent to harm someone. Sharing information with a confidential resource will not result in a Title IX report or disciplinary case unless specifically requested. Deidentified data (information that cannot be linked to the survivor) is aggregated and included in the Annual Security Report.

Obligated reporting: Federal Title IX policy requires some employees of the college to share information they receive about sexual harassment, unwanted sexual contact, sexual assault, rape, dating/domestic violence, or stalking with the Title IX coordinator or their designees, even if the survivor does not want them to do so. Any report, including incidental and third-party reports, made to an obligated reporter will result in a Title IX investigation.

The college has designated people in certain positions as obligated reporters ("responsible employees"). A list of these individuals may be found on our Title IX page under obligated reporters. 

Reporting to law enforcement: Survivors have the option of reporting to law enforcement instead of or in addition to the college. Community safety staff can facilitate the process and may coordinate with law enforcement to conduct the interview on campus. Law enforcement's response can vary from taking a report to referring the case to the District Attorney for possible criminal charges. 

Exchange students and language scholars: If a report is made to the college of a sexually-related incident or abuse (an incident or allegation involving sexual exploitation, harassment or abuse) involving a  foreign exchange student or language scholar with a J1 visa, the college is required to report information about the incident, including the identities of the parties, to the State Department's Office of Private Sector Exchange Administration

What if I don't want to make a report to the college or law enforcement?

You can receive the following types of assistance without making a report to the college or to law enforcement. A SHARE advocate or counselor can give you more information.

  • Advocacy and counseling on or off campus
  • Medical care
  • Forensic evidence collection at a hospital emergency room
  • Restraining orders issued by courts
  • Legal advice and information