Sexual Health, Advocacy & Relationship Education

If you are a faculty or staff member making an obligated report, click here.

Reporting sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, and stalking

Whether or not to report sexual misconduct to the college or law enforcement is an important decision for survivors. They may need resources and support, but have concerns about privacy and confidentiality. Some survivors are not interested in participating in an investigation, but want the college to be aware of what happened to them. Making a report is not the same as initiating a disciplinary process. 

To report a possible violation of the Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Misconduct policy or the Title IX policy, an email may be sent to the Title IX/504 coordinator, or the online reporting form may be used. The online reporting form may be submitted without names.

Obligated reporters must notify the Title IX/504 coordinator if they receive information about potential violations of Title IX or the Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Misconduct policy. (See the Title IX page for more information on obligatory reporting.)

Once a report is made to the college, an investigation may take place even if the survivor asks that the matter not be pursued. The Title IX/504 coordinator will determine next steps. Concerns about safety if the accused is contacted can be discussed with an advocate prior to reporting so that a safety plan can be established. The college will investigate all reports fairly and take steps to mitigate and remediate harm to the best of its ability. Generally, the college will not contact law enforcement without the survivor's permission unless it is necessary to protect the individual or the campus. The college will assist survivors who wish to report to law enforcement. 

Reed encourages everyone to consider reporting sexual misconduct, relationship abuse, and stalking to the college, keeping the well-being and safety of the survivor in mind. Our employees receive training to ensure that survivors are supported and assisted in the reporting process, and we work with students to prepare them to support friends who disclose to them.

What if I don't want to make a report to the college or law enforcement?

Reporting is not necessary to get some kinds of support. Speaking with a confidential resource will not result in a Title IX report without a survivor's written permission. Confidential resources on campus for students are health & counseling services staff,  SHARE advocates, and the program director for SHARE (Sexual Health, Advocacy & Relationship Education). Advocates are certified confidential with legal privilege in the state of Oregon. These confidential resources will not share information that can identify the survivor or accused with anyone else without the survivor’s permission, unless the survivor discloses abuse of a child. Sharing information with a confidential resource will not result in a Title IX report or disciplinary case unless specifically requested.

You may be able to receive the following types of assistance without making a report to the college or to law enforcement. A SHARE advocate or counselor can give you more information.

  • Advocacy and counseling on or off campus
  • Emergency housing (when available)
  • Other kinds of academic support may be available
  • Medical care
  • Forensic evidence collection at a hospital emergency room
  • Restraining orders issued by courts
  • Legal advice and information