Office for Institutional Diversity

Trans and Gender Nonconforming at Reed Student FAQ

This resource is intended to provide centralized and up-to-date information about campus resources, supportive programs, and student groups connected to gender identity and expression at Reed. It includes guidance on everything from how to change your name on college records to local trans-related community resources. We welcome suggestions for edits or additions to the information provided here. Please email with suggestions or questions.

Reed’s Non-Discrimination Statement

“Reed College is committed to maintaining a free and diverse campus community in which students, faculty, and staff can live, learn, work and express themselves honorably. Membership in the Reed community, as governed by the Honor Principle, imposes obligations on students, faculty, and staff to respect the dignity and autonomy of others and to treat one another civilly and without regard to factors irrelevant to participation in the life of the College...

Reed College does not discriminate on the basis of protected classes including race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military status, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, status as a parent, family relationship, or on the basis of any other category protected by law.” (excerpts from Reed’s Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy)

How do I change my name on campus records?

  • Legal name change:
    • Instructions for legally changing your name in the state or Oregon can be found on the Multnomah County website.
    • Contact the Registrar’s Office to request to update your legal name on official records. They will request documentation of the legal name change (check their website for a list of acceptable forms of documentation). Once the registrar’s office processes your documentation, your name will be changed on their records. They will notify all relevant campus offices, and you will be able to pick up an updated Student ID free of charge.
    • Note: Legal names appear in the public directory. You can opt to have your preferred name appear instead in the public directory, or you can keep your preferred name private so that it will only be viewed within the internal campus directory.
  • Preferred first name change:
    • In IRIS Information Update, visit the Personal Info tab to update your preferred name.
      • Click on “Personal Info” > “Campus Web Directory Prefs” > “About You”
    • Once updated in IRIS, your preferred name will appear in systems such as the campus directory and class rosters. You can also opt to have your preferred name appear on the public directory. To choose where your name and other personal information is seen, click on “Personal Info” > “Campus Web Directory Prefs” > “Privacy Settings”
  • Email updates:
    • You automatically have two email addresses: and You can request an additional email address to reflect your preferred name, and you can then use that as your primary email address. In IRIS, go to Campus Email Prefs to request an additional email address.
    • If you have legally changed your name, you can request a username change. Email or visit the ETC help desk.

How do I change my gender or pronouns on campus records?

  • You may update your gender for internal campus purposes (such as housing/residence life, advising transcript, etc.).
    • In IRIS Information Update, visit the “About You” tab, and then select “Edit Info” in the section titled “Gender.”
  • You also may update your pronouns for internal campus communication (class roster, advising transcripts, internal campus directory, housing/residence life, student life, etc.).
    • In IRIS Information Update, visit the “About You” tab, and then select “Edit Info” in the section titled “Pronouns.”
  • To update your gender on all campus records, you will need to contact the Registrar’s office. As with legal name changes, you will be asked to provide the Registrar’s office with supporting documentation, such as a state-issued ID with the updated gender marker.

What all-gender or trans-inclusive housing options are available on campus?

Gender inclusive housing options are available for incoming first year students and continuing students. Options for incoming students include singles, as well as shared rooms with self-identified trans-supportive students. Contact Residence Life at or 503-777-7536 to discuss which options are currently available and will best accommodate your needs.

How accessible are all gender restrooms and where are they located?

Single occupancy restrooms with gender-inclusive signage are located in most buildings across campus and multi-user all gender restrooms are located in the Performing Arts Building, the lower level of Gray Campus Center, and Eliot Hall. Reference the map for public all gender restroom locations. Most restrooms in on-campus residence halls are all gender.

Are the sports facilities and athletic teams trans- and intersex-inclusive?

The Sports Center includes two private changing rooms and restrooms, and Reed’s athletic teams strive to be inclusive for all students who want to participate. Students are welcome to participate in gendered sports teams that most align with the student's self-identified gender. Specific questions about facilities or policies for athletic teams can be directed to Michael Lombardo, director of Athletics, Fitness, and Outdoor Programs.

Are trans-related health needs covered by Reed’s student insurance plan and provided at the Health & Counseling Center (HCC)?

Reed’s student insurance plan is with Pacific Source. It is a comprehensive health insurance plan which provides coverage for eligible services such as preventive exams, HRT, lab & x-ray, hospitalization, gender-affirming surgery, and prescription drugs. Medical and counseling staff receive ongoing diversity training and are committed to providing supportive and equitable services to all students. Contact the Health and Counseling Center to learn more about which transition-supportive procedures and services are provided at the HCC and what can be referred to other community providers and covered by student insurance.

What trans-related services are available at the Health & Counseling Center?

The staff at the HCC are committed to providing supportive, inclusive and equitable services to all students. We offer counseling and primary health care at the HCC. The providers are gender-affirming and trans-inclusive. Some of the services the HCC offers are:

  • Prescriptions for gender-affirming hormone therapy
  • Medical coordination if you have an off-campus provider

We offer support to help student access gender-affirming health care off-campus for services which we do not have on-site. More information can be found on the HCC website.

How can I get involved on campus and find community?

  • The trans and gender non-conforming peer group meets regularly for on-going support and discussion. Contact the Multicultural Resource Center program director, Ashley Stull Meyers,, for more information.
  • The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC), located in the Student Center, hosts weekly events and programs focused on wellness, identity, culture, and social justice. Staff in the MRC, including the Multicultural Peer Health Advocates, have regular office hours and can help connect you with other students or upcoming events. The MRC also frequently subsidizes costs for students to attend regional conferences or trainings. Recent conferences have included the Oregon Students of Color Conference, Queer Students of Color Conference, and Creating Change. Contact to learn more.
  • The Peer Mentor Program supports first year students from underrepresented communities in their transition to Reed by connecting them with a current student mentor, as well as coordinating on-going events and programs throughout that year. The program actively recruits mentors who identify as trans, nonbinary, and intersex, and who are excited to support students within these communities. Contact to learn more.
  • The Trans Inclusion Working Group is a cross-campus committee of students, faculty, and staff focused on strengthening campus policies, programs, and resources to be trans inclusion and to advance gender equity. To learn more about the committee or to get involved, contact

What other resources are available in the Portland community?

  • Portland Q Center: 4115 N Mississippi Ave
    Q Center is an LGBT community center located in North Portland. They do outreach in the community and work with a lot of trans teen. A handful of Reedies even work there!
  • SMYRC, the Sexual & Gender Minority Youth Resource Center: 1220 SW Columbia
    SMYRC provides a safe, supervised, harassment-free space for sexual and gender minority youth ages 13-23 who participate in positive activities like art, music, community organizing, open mic nights, drag shows, and support groups and receives services including case management, counseling, education, and more.
  • PFLAG Portland: PO Box 6743, Portland, OR, 97228.
    PFLAG Portland is one of the oldest chapters in the PFLAG national network, with a 40 year history of community building and support in the LGBTQ community. Their website has information about support groups, special events, and educational opportunities.
  • Basic Rights Oregon’s Trans Justice Program: 310 SW 4th Ave., Suite #300
    Basic Rights Oregon is a political action committee with the goal of ending discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. Their Trans Justice Program has made significant achievements on the national level, such as making Oregon one of the first states to ban insurance discrimination against transgender communities and creating a toolkit for trans-inclusive healthcare for employers. They initiate and champion legislation and monitor the legislative process with the help of one of Oregon's most respected lobbyists. They also recruit, educate, endorse, and support candidates, working closely with them once they are elected.
  • Trans Active Gender Center: 1631 NE Broadway Street, Suite 355-T
    Trans Active is a local advocacy group that provides a holistic range of services and works on a number of issues, including support for trans children and their families. A Reed alumna works there!
  • Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
    Trans Lifeline is dedicated to the well being of transgender people. This is a hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. Trans Lifeline volunteers are ready to respond to whatever support needs members of our community might have