Dean for Institutional Diversity
- Mary B. James
- Dean for Institutional Diversity
A.A. Knowlton Professor of Physics
- Office: Eliot 312
The dean for institutional diversity is the chief diversity officer of the college. The dean reports to the president and works closely with the dean of faculty, Reed’s chief academic officer. The dean for institutional diversity oversees the functions of the office for institutional diversity. As chief diversity officer, the dean’s goals are primarily to:
- create institutional vision and strategy supporting the college’s commitment to being a diverse and inclusive learning, teaching, and working environment;
- implement systems and infrastructure to support, encourage, and promote those strategies and goals;
- provide leadership by working with the president’s cabinet and senior staff to ensure that all aspects of college life reflect the fundamental principals of intellectual pluralism espoused in the college’s founding documents;
- develop relationships in the broader Portland community which align with Reed’s commitment to intellectual pluralism and which promote the college’s dedication to academic rigor;
- provide opportunities for Reed students, staff, faculty, and intersecting communities to deepen their understanding and knowledge of a diverse array of peoples, ideas, and areas of intellectual inquiry.
- Jessika Chi
- Assistant Dean for Institutional Diversity
- Office: Eliot 312
The assistant dean for institutional diversity serves the office for institutional diversity by implementing and coordinating its various programs and initiatives. The assistant dean oversees the planning of the office for institutional diversity's signature events. These programs and events provide opportunities for students, staff, faculty, and intersecting communities to engage in meaningful conversations that further the development of a fully inclusive learning community. The assistant dean for institutional diversity also supports the Center for Teaching and Learning by coordinating workshops for Reed faculty and staff around inclusive pedagogies and best practices.
- Cami West
- Associate Dean for Institutional Diversity
- Office: Eliot 119
- Virtual office hours: Thursdays, 10am - 11am (Zoom ID: 475 332 6342)
The associate dean for institutional diversity is responsible for developing and facilitating diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)-focused professional development opportunities for faculty and staff. The associate dean also manages a DEI research and assessment program that tracks departmental climate through various qualitative instruments, and that publicly-available data is then used to develop action items that address climate issues. Dr. West obtained her Ph.D. in History from the University of California, San Diego, and was awarded a Postdoctral Fellowship in DEI Education Studies at that same institution. She also teaches Black Studies, History, and Composition for local community colleges. Please feel free to visit her virtual office hours (open to all students, faculty, and staff), weekly on Thursdays from 10am to 11am.