Honor at Reed

Resources for Honor Council, Judicial Board, Sexual Misconduct Board, AOD Review Panel

How to file a complaint

Complaints against a student are submitted in writing to a Chair of the Student Judicial Board (J-Board), who files a copy of the complaint with the Dean of Student Life before the case is heard.  For allegations where staff or faculty are the respondents of the complaint, there are distinct grievance procedures described here.

Complaints against students that include allegations of sexual misconduct are submitted to the Title IX Coordinator (title-ix@reed.edu) or the Chair of the Sexual Misconduct Board (SMB).

Current chairs of the Student Judicial Board and Sexual Misconduct Board are listed here, along with the email addresses to which a complaint can be submitted electronically.

The Complainant does not need to be the alleged victim.

The written complaint must state:

  1. The grounds on which the complainant(s) believes that a violation of the honor principle or college rules has occurred.
  2. A brief description of the actions that the complainant(s) believes do constitute a violation.
  3. A list of the names of the persons believed to have committed a violation, if the names of such violators are known to the complainant(s).
  4. A list of witnesses with information pertinent to the case.
  5. A statement of why informal mediation was unsuccessful or did not occur.
  6. A statement that consents to the disclosure of the complaint to the respondent(s).

If you are in need of disability-related accommodations or have questions about accessibility at any point in engaging in the judicial process, please contact Judicial Board Advisors Cameron Tanner (tannerc-jboard@reed.edu) or Keith Karoly (kkaroly-jboard@reed.edu).