Sexual Assault Prevention and Response at Reed

If you are a faculty or staff member making an obligated report, click here.

Reporting: For Survivors

One of the most important decisions for survivors is whether or not to talk about what happened. Reed encourages everyone to consider reporting sexual misconduct, relationship abuse, and stalking to the college and, when appropriate, to law enforcement. Our staff receive training to ensure that survivors are supported and assisted in the reporting process. 

Before making a report, survivors often want to get information about what might happen if they choose to do so. We recommend that they speak with an advocate or counselor to ensure that they are aware of their options. Once a report is made, the college's ability to protect the survivor's confidentiality is limited by its obligation to take action to prevent further harm to the individual and community. The college will take steps to mitigate and remediate harm even when an anonymous report is made, but its response will be limited based on the available information. 

Who should I tell? Who will find out? What will happen?

Anonymous reporting: You can anonymously call a crisis line. You can make an anonymous report to the college using a form on the Reed website. No one will know who you are. The college may initiate a Title IX investigation, but it will be limited to the available information. 

Confidential reporting: You can ask a confidential reporter not to share any information with anyone else without your permission unless they fear you will harm yourself or someone else. Confidential reporters on campus are Health & Counseling Center staff, SAPR advocates, and any student employee except Housing Assistants. Only the person you are talking to will know who you are. There will not be a Title IX investigation.

Obligatory reporting: The President and Vice Presidents, faculty members, staff supervisors, student services staff (except student workers), and house advisors must report information about sexual and relationship violence to the Title IX Coordinator (or their designees, including Community Safety), even if you don’t want them to share the information. The person you are talking to, the Title IX Coordinator, Community Safety, Dean of Students, the Assistant Dean of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response, and possibly Residence Life and Health & Counseling Center staff will know who you are. The college will initiate a Title IX investigation. Depending on the situation, the college may also contact law enforcement and/or file a complaint with the Sexual Misconduct Board. (Please note: if a survivor is under 18, all college employees are required to report physical or sexual assault to Child Protective Services.)

You can talk to the Assistant Dean of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response and if she does not become aware of the name of the perpetrator, she does not have to give your name when she makes a Title IX report. 

Reporting to law enforcement: You can file a report with law enforcement whether or not you report to the college. Community Safety may or may not be notified by the police, and does not automatically contact law enforcement, although you may ask them to do so. Community Safety can also help you make a report to the police. The law enforcement agency and the District Attorney's office will know who you are. The Title IX Coordinator, Community Safety, Dean of Students, the Assistant Dean of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response, and possibly Residence Life and Health & Counseling Center staff may learn who you are. Law enforcement's response can vary from only taking a report to referring the case to the District Attorney for possible criminal charges. 

What if I don't want to make a report to the college or law enforcement?

You can receive some types of assistance without making a report. A SAPR advocate or counselor can give you more information.

  • Advocacy and counseling on or off campus
  • Medical care
  • Forensic evidence collection at a hospital emergency room
  • Restraining orders from the courts
  • Legal advice and information

Safety Alert

Someone who has access to your computer may be able to see that you have visited this page. If this is a concern for you, please consider using a different computer or make a report by phone (503/788-6666). You can find technology safety tips here.