Learn what to do with your garbage, recycling, and compost in Portland on the city's Garbage, Recycling, and Compost website.
Reed's Recycling Center is located in the lower level of the Gray Campus Center (GCC) next to the mailroom. All non-academic buildings have bins designated for Reed's Recycling Center recyclables. Place recyclables in those bins or bring materials to the Recycling Center. Have large and consistent loads of materials for the Recycling Center? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepted at Reed’s Recycling Center
- clear plastic film (grocery bags, bread bags, Ziploc, bubble wraps)
- hard styrofoam
- clear #1 plastic
- rigid plastics #2, 4, 5, 6 not accepted by Portland's recycling program (smaller than 6 oz. and/or not tub shaped, any color)
- plastic lids and caps
- electronic waste (e-waste with data should be brought to Computer User Services)
- light bulbs
- metal scraps
- corks (plastic and real)
Contact Rachel Willis, Sustainability Coordinator (email@example.com) to be added to a caretaker spreadsheet to sign up for one of the following roles:
- Bring bin contents to Reed's Recycling Center when full and sort it into the appropriate bin.
- If you notice the satellite bin is full, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so one of the Waste Reduction interns can pick up and sort it.
Does your department produce large volumes of plastic film and/or styrofoam recycling? If yes, do one of the following:
- Drop off materials at Reed's Recycling Center then email email@example.com so we can remove the materials right away, or arrange a pick-up.
- Drop off plastic film directly at New Seasons on Woodstock in the underground parking lot.
Learn about how Reed handles e-waste and hazardous waste on campus. Reed recycles e-waste in the ETC building (cords, computers, etc.). Hazardous waste are handled through EHS and can be brought to the waste room in Chemistry 211 (downstairs) for proper recycling or disposal. Light bulbs, lamps, and ballasts can be put into the lamp recycling boxes located on the 2nd floor of the Chemistry building by the west stairs, or can be brought to Facilities Services. See here for more information.