Mid-year Orientation 2019

Helping Your Reedie: Frequently Asked Questions from Parents and Family Members

Student Services

Q. What is the role of student services?

A. Student services works collaboratively and directly with students to provide guidance and resources designed to optimize the Reed experience. The offices within the division of student services provide a wide range of programs and services intended to complement and enhance each student’s education with the goal of helping students identify, pursue, and achieve their goals at Reed and beyond.

Q. With whom can I speak if I have academic, health, or other concerns for my student?

A. The dean of students’ office provides consultation, resources, outreach, and coordination of information to address concerns for students in a sensitive and holistic manner. If you are concerned for a student, please contact Britt Q. Hoover in the dean of students’ office at 503/777-7521. For emergencies and urgent concerns outside of business hours, please contact community safety at 503/788-6666.

Academic Support Resources

Q. How do students learn about their academic progress, given that Reed records but does not distribute grades?

A. Students have many opportunities to learn how they are progressing in a course, including feedback on assignments and tests, conversations with instructors and academic advisers during office hours, self-reflection, and formal feedback provided at four and eight weeks into the semester. For more information on how students are evaluated, search for “evaluation of students” on reed.edu. Each fall, students receive a Degree Progress Evaluation in their campus mailstop, which they can review with their adviser to make certain they are progressing successfully toward their degree. They can request an updated report at any time from the registrar's office.

Q. How will I learn about my student’s academic progress?

A. We ask that students and families talk about the strategies they plan to use for communicating about academic matters. Students determine if their families will have direct access to their grades and/or academic actions, and they grant this permission through the registrar's office. For more information, search for “request for information” at reed.edu. Please note, this access is limited to final grades and/or actions that are recorded at the end of the semester and generally a signed request must be made to receive grades.

Q. What resources support students academically?

A. Reed’s curriculum is challenging, and most students find that asking for help is essential to their success. In addition to help from faculty, students can get assistance from academic support services, which provides drop-in and individual peer tutoring, workshops, and individual coaching by staff members. All of these services are free to current students. 

Q. What accommodations and disability-related resources are available to support students and how are they accessed?

A. College students are responsible for providing relevant documentation and engaging with disability support services if they are interested in receiving accommodations. The “Accommodations Process” page details the necessary steps to accessing services. One of these steps is meeting with the director of disability support. At this meeting, eligibility, the accommodations process, and appropriate accommodations may be determined. Accommodations may include alternative text formats, assistive technology, notetaking support, testing accommodations, classroom accommodations, housing accommodations, and more. 

Q. How does Reed handle accusations of academic misconduct?

A. Academic misconduct includes both intentional acts of misrepresenting another’s work as one’s own, as well as negligent acts that result in misrepresentation or that fail to conform to the norms of appropriate attribution and credit. Academic misconduct is a violation of Reed’s Honor Principle in its most fundamental form and is contrary to the idea of scholarship. If the instructor and student agree that academic misconduct has occurred, and the instructor and review panel agree that the misconduct is minor, a first-time offender is not sanctioned, but a record is kept of the event. If the offense is more serious or is not a first offense, the case is forwarded to the judicial board, which recommends sanctions that must be approved by the president or the president’s designee. The policy on academic conduct can be found here. All students should take proactive steps to prevent academic misconduct. Students may seek support from faculty, librarians, and academic support staff in order to better understand expectations, citation norms, and study strategies that reduce the likelihood of negligent or intentional misconduct. 

Health & Counseling Center (HCC)

Q. What services are provided?

A. Last year more than 75% of Reed students used the HCC for one or more of the following services:

  • Medical care
  • Women’s health
  • STI testing
  • Immunizations
  • Urgent and preventable care
  • Short-term individual counseling
  • Group counseling
  • Medication management
  • Community referrals and case management
  • Crisis intervention

Q. Who does HCC serve?

A. The HCC provides services for regular, undergraduate students who are currently enrolled at Reed.

Q. Who staffs the HCC?

A. The HCC staff includes physicians, nurse practitioners, psychologists, nurses, a social worker, medical assistants, and counseling clinic trainees—all dedicated to providing high-quality confidential services.

Q. What are the costs for HCC services? Does a student need the Reed health insurance to use the HCC?

A. All visits to HCC providers are provided at no cost, no matter what service or health provider a student has. However, there are fees for lab work, medications, and medical supplies. A student does not need to use  insurance to be seen at the HCC.

Q. Are the services confidential? Who may learn about care provided to a student by the HCC?

A. HCC staff will not share information about any services provided to a student with parents, friends, professors, deans, or anyone else, without explicit written permission from the student—except under extreme emergency or other rare exceptions. When a student is referred to a community provider, pertinent records will be shared with the provider for continuity of care. A release of information will be obtained from the student.

Q. When is the HCC open?

A. The HCC is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. We are closed during the noon hour. The HCC is closed during the summer and winter breaks.

Q. How does one schedule an appointment at the HCC?

A. For nonurgent concerns:

Medical services: Call or come to the HCC at 503/777-7281 to schedule an appointment. The HCC assists students in finding a timely appointment with an appropriate provider. We encourage students to self-schedule some medical appointments via the student health portal.

Counseling services: Call or come to the HCC at 503/777-7281 to have a brief screening with a counselor. Based upon that discussion, the clinician will make a recommendation and assist students with scheduling.

B. For urgent concerns:

If a medical or mental health concern is urgent, students should request an urgent appointment. Clinical staff will speak with the student, either by telephone or in person, and students will be seen appropriate to the need. 

Q. What about urgent concerns that arise when the HCC is closed?

A. During evenings, weekends, and academic breaks, students may receive professional advice and guidance by calling the Community Careline (a nurse advice line) at 800/607-5501 or by calling The Reed After Hours Crisis Line (for mental health support) at 866/432-1224.

Residence Life

Q. Will students have guaranteed housing throughout their time at Reed?

A. Reed has housing for approximately 70% of our students. First year students are guaranteed on-campus housing, and virtually all incoming students live on campus. After the first year, students who wish to live on campus participate in a room registration process. Please visit our website to learn more about the process, and don't hesitate to contact our staff should you have additional questions.

Q. What kind of support can a student expect from a house adviser?

A. House advisers (HAs) are returning students who are selected for their skills and interest in helping other students and are trained in peer counseling and community building. HAs are an excellent resource for questions about academics, campus life, and Portland. At least one HA lives in every residence hall. HAs bring students together for important discussions and activities like movie nights, study breaks, excursions around Portland, and trips to the Oregon coast and the Reed ski cabin.

Q. What may a student do if a problem arises within the community or with a roommate?

A. In keeping with the Honor Principle, we encourage students to talk with each other about conflict. If such an interaction proves difficult, there are a number of people and organizations to assist students in navigating interpersonal relationships. HAs are available as a sounding board or to help mediate conflict. If students want assistance from someone outside their community, members of the honor council may provide good peer support. If students are uncomfortable working with peers or feel as though concerns should be known or addressed by a staff member, their respective resident director (RD), a professional staff member living within the community, is able to assist.

Q. If something in a student’s room is not working properly, how is it repaired?

A. When repairs in the residence hall room are needed, students fill out a maintenance request form available on the facilities services site. Students may ask an HA to assist with this process. If it has been a few days since the request was made and nothing has happened, students should inform the HA. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately, students can contact facilities services at the physical plant directly at 503/777-7283, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q. What is a theme community, and how may a student get involved in one?

A. Theme communities are intentionally designed living communities centered on a variety of shared academic, cultural, and personal interests. Reed’s theme housing is student-proposed and student-driven, making it possible for students with common interests and lifestyle preferences to live together and support each other through thoughtful engagement, informal interactions, and planned events. If your student isn't living in a theme community and wants to be involved, an HA can assist by contacting the coordinator of the respective theme.

Community Safety

Q. What services does community safety provide?

A. Community safety officers (CSOs) are on duty every hour of every day of the year, patrolling all areas of campus. CSOs respond to urgent calls for help within 3–5 minutes. Community safety dispatch in 28 West operates at all hours, and students may call or stop by the office for assistance at any time. CSOs provide escorts, respond to medical problems and injuries, assist students who are locked out of residence halls, and maintain a constant presence on campus. Because CSOs are not police officers, police are called for serious incidents such as felony crimes or threats of harm.

Q. What is the most common crime on campus?

A. Petty thefts, especially of bicycles and valuables left unattended, make up the vast majority of crimes on campus. Students are encouraged to use the best lock possible for bikes and to store them indoors when possible. Other valuables should not be left unattended, and residence hall rooms should be kept locked when not in use. For more information, read the campus security report, search for “community safety” on reed.edu, or stop by the office at 28 West.

Q. What if there is a campus emergency such as a natural disaster? Who do we contact to find out if our student is okay?

A. The Reed College Emergency Response Plan details responses to a variety of potential emergency situations. Please refer to this plan for those details. In the event of a campus emergency, attempt to reach your student directly. If you are unsuccessful in reaching your student, you may call community safety at 503/788-6666. If that number is not working, call the dispatch cell phone at 503/849-8678. If the Reed network is unreachable, and connectivity is down for an extended period of time, emergency information will be posted on emergency.reed.edu, a website that is hosted outside of the Pacific Northwest. This site will be updated as frequently as technology allows and information is available. Your student should sign up for the emergency alert service. Reed's emergency alert service provides rapid notification to students, faculty, and staff in the event of an emergency. For more information, search for “emergency alert services” on reed.edu.

Q. How does Oregon’s marijuana law affect how Reed responds to marijuana?

A. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law and Oregon law prohibits its use in schools. For more information on the alcohol and other drug (AOD) policy at Reed, search for “alcohol and other drugs” on reed.edu.

Sexual Assault Prevention and Response

Q. How does the college respond to reports of sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking?

A. Reed is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all our students. The college is required by law to investigate reports of sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking, whether or not the incident is reported to police. Reed promptly documents and investigates all reports according to federal guidelines, providing empathy and support to the person making the report while making certain that a fair and equitable process exists for everyone involved. Students can receive information and confidential support without reporting sexual or relationship violence to the college. For more information, search for “Title IX” on reed.edu.

Q. What is Reed doing to reduce sexual assault and other interpersonal violence?

A. Sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking are not tolerated, and these actions are prohibited by the Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Misconduct policy found at reed.edu. Reed has adopted a whole-community approach to sexual violence prevention, which is coordinated by the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) program. Prevention strategy is based primarily on the bystander intervention model: all community members can recognize potentially risky situations and safely respond to make sure people stay unharmed. Incoming students take an online course, “Haven: Sexual Assault Prevention,” before they arrive on campus. Students attend two sessions during orientation week: in the first, students meet the people involved in sexual assault prevention and response on campus, and in the second, upperclassmen lead small group discussions on talking about sex and consent. SAPR peer educators also hold dorm talks throughout the year on topics related to sexual and relationship violence. The training received by new staff and faculty also discusses the importance of prevention and intervention.

Q. What resources are available for someone concerned about sexual assault, relationship abuse, or stalking?

A. The sexual assault prevention and response (SAPR) program staff (Assistant Dean Rowan Frost and student advocates) can give confidential support and information and explain options to survivors and their allies. The student advocates, who receive more than 45 hours of training and ongoing supervision, may be contacted on the SAPR support line, by text, email, or in person. Counseling is available for students from health & counseling services. For information about other resources, both on- and off-campus, search for “sexual assault prevention and response” on reed.edu.

Q. What happens if a student is a victim of sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, or stalking?

A. Survivors may seek information and support whenever they are ready to do so. They do not have to make a report to the college or the police to receive some services. Students may report anonymously, or by contacting one of many different people on campus. Survivors tend to heal fastest when they receive compassionate support from the people they talk to, and our staff are trained to respond appropriately. When a report involving a student is made to the college, it may be investigated by community safety as a potential Title IX and sexual misconduct policy violation. A student's physical safety will be assessed, and steps may be taken as needed to protect them from further harm. Academic and supportive resources are also available on- and off-campus. The handbook, “Options and Resources for Victims of Sexual Misconduct,” explains survivors’ rights and choices. Survivors are encouraged to speak with an advocate or counselor for information and support whether or not they choose to report to the college or law enforcement.

Q. What happens if a student is accused of sexual assault?

A. When students are accused of sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, or stalking, community safety will contact them and request a statement. They do not have to speak with community safety or anyone else on campus, and they may contact an attorney at any time. Bruce Smith, dean of students, provides information and academic support for students accused of sexual misconduct and will work with them to identify and access resources. Respondents have the right to see and respond to any evidence against them and may present their own evidence or witnesses. A Title IX board case may be filed by the accuser or the college. Sanctions are assigned only if students are found responsible after a Title IX board hearing for violating the sexual misconduct policy or the Honor Principle. 

Parent Communities

Q. What is the Parent Council?

A. The Parent Council is a donor recognition society for parents who make yearly gifts of $1,911 or more to the Annual Fund at Reed. Members of the Parent Council have opportunities for additional engagement with college leaders, staff, and faculty, and receive periodic invitations to events and special programs in Portland and around the country.

Gifts to the Annual Fund contribute to sustaining the college, supporting financial aid, student support services, the library, and many other things that improve your student’s quality of life at Reed. To learn more, email parentcouncil@reed.edu. To make a gift, visit reed.edu/givenow.

Q. What is Parent & Family Weekend?

A. Parent & Family Weekend takes place each fall, typically in November. This is a time to visit campus and experience the rich array of student opportunities and resources Reed has to offer. Enjoy programming dedicated to navigating Reed and helping your student during each step of the journey. Learn more and register at reed.edu/pfw.

Q. How can I keep up with news of the college?

A. Current parents receive ReediEnews, a monthly e-newsletter, and may also choose to follow Reed on social media. We have institutional channels on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; also, there is a Reed College parents group on Facebook.

Have a question not addressed in this faq?

Contact student services:

Contact us

Student engagement office