Anthropology Student Research Fund
Funded by the the Department of Anthropology's Harper-Ellis endowment, the Student Research Fund is meant to enhance research opportunities for anthropology majors by providing modest support for research expenses.
The funds may be used to support:
- thesis-related research, including conference travel;
- course-related projects or projects related to anthropology; and
- conference presentations;
Students must be declared anthropology majors. Priority is given to students undertaking thesis-related research.
How to Apply
Students should work with their advisers to prepare a brief proposal (4 pages single-spaced, max.) that contains:
- The rationale for the project and its relevance to a thesis or coursework;
- Overall project design (if applicable);
- Methodology of research (if applicable);
- Discussion of whether or not the project will require IRB approval (if applicable);
- Anticipated outcomes;
- A brief itemized budget.
Students' advisers should send a brief email of support for the project to Emily Hebbron.
Please submit your proposal to Emily Hebbron, email@example.com, who will circulate it and the adviser's recommendation email to the Anthropology faculty for approval.
In addition, students are strongly encouraged to apply for matching funds to college-wide funding sources, including the Initiative Grants in Undergraduate Research, the President’s Summer Fellowship, and the McGill Lawrence Internship Award, for their projects so that we may maximize the number of student projects that we support.
There are three deadlines for consideration, all coordinated with the deadlines for the Undergraduate Research Committee. (The department will also accept rolling applications for time-sensitive opportunities such as conferences.)
- Friday, Sept. 29, 2017 at noon
- Friday, November 17, 2017 at noon
- Friday, March 2, 2018 at noon
- Friday, March 30, 2018 at noon
All recipients of Department of Anthropology student research/travel funds should write a brief (two paragraph) report of their experience and findings. Those reports will be posted to the Department website with the recipient's permission.