Student Work Information for New Students
What kind of on-campus jobs do students work in?
Almost every office and program on campus hires student workers! There are a wide variety of jobs that students work in at Reed. Students work in the library, the fitness center, the canyon, as tutors, mentors, event coordinators, office assistants, and so many other positions on campus.
Eligible students can also apply for off-campus federal work-study (FWS) positions, which allow students to earn their FWS wages while working in non-profit organizations and public agencies in the Portland area.
Here are a few things you can do to prepare to apply for on-campus jobs:
- Check to see if you have a work-study award and learn more about it here
- If you have a work-study award and would like to work on campus, make sure to accept your work-study award. Students with accepted work-study awards are prioritized in the hiring process for many on-campus jobs.
- Draft a resume and cover letter template over the summer
- Log into Handshake to look at on-campus openings *On-campus positions will start to show up in August and September!*
- Handshake is Reed's job board for both on and off-campus opportunities. New students will be given access to Handshake over the summer before they arrive at Reed. When you are given access, you will receive an email to your Reed email address with instructions for logging into Handshake.
- Bring identifying documents to fill out hiring paperwork at Orientation
- Attend the following events:
- Working At Reed Presentation - Friday of Orientation, 8/30 at 10am
- Student Work Drop-In Hours - Friday of Orientation, 8/30 8:30am to 1pm
- On-Campus Work Fair - Wednesday, 9/11 3:30 to 5pm