Chinese Department


Study Abroad Programs and Resources

Study Abroad and Immersion Language Study

The importance of a period of total immersion in a target-language environment cannot be overemphasized for learners of Chinese. Chinese majors are strongly encouraged to apply to Reed-sponsored study programs in China. Members of the Chinese department will guide students in assessing the various programs abroad and approve, in advance, courses in Chinese language/literature that students wish to take to fulfill requirements at Reed. Visit the International Programs website for more information about studying abroad while at Reed.

Reed-sponsored Study Programs in China 

Reed has long affiliations with three universities in China: Capital Normal University (Beijing); East China Normal University (Shanghai); and Fujian Normal University (Fuzhou). Since 2016, Reed has also established affiliations with two programs in Taiwan: the International Chinese Language Program at National Taiwan University (Taibei) and the Chinese Language Center at National Cheng Kung University (Tainan). These offer students the opportunity to study the Chinese language intensively. Choose between these five amazing metropolises for a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in language study. Depending on the program, students may also take additional courses in Chinese calligraphy, culture, and Tai Chi.  

Additional Study Programs in China 

In addition to the study abroad programs with which Reed has a formal affiliation listed above, there are a number of additional intensive Chinese-language study programs in China and Taiwan to which students might consider applying. Many of these offer both summer and full-year options and have been highly recommended by Reed students who have attended them. These include Princeton-in-Beijing, Associated Colleges in China, Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) (which offers programs in Beijing, Shanghai, and Nanjing), and the Inter-University Program for Chinese Studies in Beijing. 

Fellowships and Grants

With careful planning, students may take advantage of the several sources of funding available to help defray the costs of studying abroad. In addition to those listed on the Student Fellowships and Awards webpage (in particular the Boren/NSEP Scholarship, the Critical Language Scholarship Program, the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarships, and the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program), a number of additional funding sources to which you might consider applying as you plan your study abroad are provided below.

  • Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA): These fellowships are awarded to U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. They provide need-based funding to assist the recipient with the cost of the study abroad program and related expenses, including airfare, basic living costs, local transportation, books, etc.
  • Ambassador Summer Scholarship Program: This is a "unique program especially designed for students who will be representing their state as well as the United States, acting as ambassadors to Taiwan. Upon returning to the United States, students will be expected to act as ambassadors of good will for both the United States and Taiwan whenever the opportunity presents itself." This program is based at the Chinese Language Center of National Cheng Kung University in Tainan, Taiwan. Successful applicants receive a monthly stipend of NT$25,000 (approx. US$800) during their study at that program.
  • Huayu Enrichment Scholarship: This scholarship is intended to "encourage international students (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students are not eligible) to undertake Huayu courses in the Republic of China (Taiwan); in order to provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community." Students may apply for summer funding or for up to one year. Successful applicants will receive a monthly stipend of NT$25,000 (approx. US$800).

For students interested in continuing their involvement with Chinese culture and society after graduation, there are many opportunities for conducting China-related research, or studying or teaching in China and Taiwan. In addition to the Fulbright Program for U.S. Students, the Schwarzman Scholarship, and the Yenching Academy of Peking University, you may also consider applying for: 

  • Blakemore Freeman Fellowships: This is a scholarship that can be used by students interested in improving their Chinese after graduation. Blakemore Freeman Fellowships fund an academic year of advanced language study abroad of a number of languages, include Chinese. Applicants must have (at minimum) a bachelor's degree and have completed at least three years of study of the language at the college level by the start of the grant.