Requirements for the Major
- A minimum of five units at the 300 and 400 levels, including one unit of third-year Chinese, one unit of classical Chinese, and one unit of either classical Chinese literature or modern and contemporary Chinese literature.
- Humanities 231 and 232—Foundations of Chinese Civilization.
- A minimum of one unit in Chinese history, Chinese art history, Chinese anthropology, or Chinese religious thought, to be taken in the relevant departments.
- Chinese 470—thesis.
- An additional unit in Chinese history, Chinese art history, Chinese anthropology, or Chinese religious thought.
- Religion 157—The Idea Systems of Chinese Religions.
- Any other Asia-related course that the college may offer.
Simplified or Traditional script?
The Chinese Department at Reed teaches both simplified and traditional script from the beginning. Students are expected to be able to read both scripts but are required to be able to write just one. In class, you can therefore expect that handouts, exams, quizzes, and other exercises typically will not provide you the same information written in both scripts but rather will alternate between them (e.g., one sentence or paragraph written only in simplified followed by another written only in traditional.