Tutoring at Reed
Reed has a strong peer tutoring program, employing around 200 tutors for a wide range of courses. Students are eligible for a generous amount of free individual (one-on-one) tutoring, in addition to unlimited access to drop-in (group) tutoring, which occurs at several locations around campus on most nights before a class. More information is given below on the different tutoring options.
One-on-one tutoring is provided by qualified Reed students of advanced standing and is available for most classes. You can meet with your tutor in the DoJo during regular open hours (9 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week when classes are in session) or anywhere else you find convenient.
How much help can I get?
Students can attend as many drop-in hours per week as they like for both course-specific help and writing help, but one-on-one tutoring hours are limited as follows:
- Students are eligible for one free hour of individual tutoring per course, per week.
- In addition, they may receive one free hour of one-on-one writing tutoring per week. Individual writing tutors are eligible to assist students with any stage of the writing process, and with assignments in any discipline.
- Groups of students can book a tutor together, and pool their hours if they meet at the same time. For example, two students can share a HUM tutor for two hours instead of one, or for two one-hour sessions taken together.
- For students working on a thesis, additional help is possible. Please contact David Gruber (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on setting up a regular tutoring time for your thesis.
- Students can work with Disability Support Services to arrange for extra time if they are eligible for this accommodation.
- If you need more time with a one-on-one tutor and have used your allotted hours, you may organize a private arrangement with that tutor, and pay them for the extra time.
How do I book an Individual Tutor?
Tutors can be booked through the tutoring app in IRIS. Follow the steps below to set up an appointment:
- Log in to IRIS using your Reed login and visit the tutoring app here: Reed Tutoring App
- Search for your course using the text-entry box, or scroll down the page to find it. If you don't know which tutor to book, you can choose to email all tutors for a course. Explain what you want help with and when you'd like to meet, and wait for a reply. Once a tutor agrees, come back to the Tutoring App to continue these steps.
- Once you know which tutor you want, click on the link next to their name that says "book this tutor". You'll be taken to a page to fill out a form requesting an appointment.
- Select up to three dates and times that fit the tutor's availability. Their availability can be shown by clicking the availability links at the top of the form.
- If you're eligible for more than one hour (through DSS, thesis tutoring, or if you're pooling hours with other students) check the box and add a comment describing why.
- Select a course, the general reasons for your appointment, and suggest a location (or several). Add any extra comments that would be helpful for the tutor, and click "Request Booking"
- You and the tutor should receive emails confirming that you have booked a session, and the tutor may reply to work out some details via email. Once these details are decided, the tutor will confirm the booking and you will be emailed with the final times and details.
You can view your upcoming appointments through IRIS, at My Upcoming Appointments. If you need to cancel or change an appointment, please give the tutor as much notice as possible.
Who can I talk to about tutoring?
If you have would like to share feedback about your experience with tutoring, check out our Tutor Feedback Form. You can also contact David (email@example.com) or Emily (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions, concerns, or suggestions.
Drop-in tutoring is held at several locations around campus, in the evenings of most nights before a class. Many subjects have drop-in hours at the Dorothy Johansen House (the DoJo), which also houses the Writing Center.
The following subjects have drop-in tutoring provided, at the locations listed below. You'll need to log in with your Reed ID to see the Drop-In Schedule.
Writing (all subjects)
Writing drop-in hours are held at the Writing Center in the DoJo, 6pm-10pm, Sun-Thurs.
Tutors are prepared to assist students of all levels at any stage of the writing process with papers in a variety of disciplines, résumés, personal statements, and other writing tasks. The Writing Center is a resource to help students improve technical skills, develop analytical strategies, and integrate both into a clear and cohesive presentation of original ideas. There are additional tutors available on the Thursday and Friday before each Hum 110 paper is due. Check the Drop-In Schedule for complete tutor schedules.
Chemistry drop-in hours for 101/102 and 201/202 are held at the DoJo, for a variety of hours between 5pm and 10pm, Sun-Thurs.
Peer tutors are available to assist with homework or problem sets, analysis of lab data, writing lab reports or papers, questions about course material, and clarification of concepts throughout the semester. Check the Drop-In Schedule for a specific time.
Physics drop-in hours are held in the Physics Building (Physics 123 and 121) to help with homework and problem sets, questions about course material, and clarification of concepts throughout the semester. Check the Drop-In Schedule for complete tutor schedules.
- Physics 101/102 is held in Physics 123, 7pm-9pm, Sun-Thurs.
- Physics 201/202 is held in Physics 121, 7pm-9pm, Sun/Tues/Thurs
Biology drop-in hours are held in two locations. Qualified peer tutors are available to help with problem sets, analysis of lab data, writing lab reports, or questions about course material. Check the Drop-In Schedule for a complete schedule.
- Drop-in hours for all Biology courses with the exception of BIO 131 are held in the Biology Center (Biology Building, B 5/7), 7pm-9pm, Sun-Thurs.
- BIO 131 (Computational Biology) drop-in hours are held at the DoJo, Tuesdays 7pm-9pm, and Thurs 8.30pm-10.30pm
Mathematics drop-in hours are held in two locations. Qualified peer tutors are available to help with homework and problem sets, questions about course material, and clarification of concepts throughout the semester. Check the Drop-In Schedule for a complete schedule.
- Drop-in hours for all Mathematics courses with the exception of MATH 121 are held in the Math Center (Library 387), 7pm-9pm, Sun-Thurs.
- MATH 121 (CS Fundamentals I) drop-in hours are held in ETC 205, 7pm-9pm, Sun-Thurs.
Economics tutoring takes place in the DoJo, at various hours in the evenings. Please choose the drop-in hours that match both your course and your professor, as the content will vary. Qualified peer tutors are available to help with homework, questions about course material, and clarification of concepts throughout the semester. Check the Drop-In Schedule for a complete schedule.
Drop-in language hours are held in the Language Lab, in the Instructional Media Center, LL1 of the library.
Tutors provide assistance in writing, speaking, reading, and understanding the languages taught at Reed. They can also help students to use the language-specific computing resources that are available in the language lab. Drop-in tutoring is currently available in Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. Check the Drop-In Schedule for a complete schedule.