Student Work Office

The Student Work Office seeks to support all aspects of student work, including assisting students in their search for work, providing students and student supervisors with support and resources, and partnering with colleagues across campus to support this critical aspect of student success.

Students can contact the Student Work Office for:

  • Assistance finding an on-campus job
  • Work-study information 
  • Disability-related work accommodations
  • Guidance regarding workplace issues 
  • General questions about on-campus student work 
Supervisors of students can contact the Student Work Office for:
  • Guidance on the student hiring process
  • Training and assistance on using Handshake to post student positions
  • Guidance writing job descriptions and student worker materials/handbooks
  • Consultation regarding workplace or performance issues
  • Questions about student work policies or practices 

Student Work Office Hours 

Come talk about student work!

Office Hours with Kate Walford, Student Work Coordinator
Tuesdays from 11:30am - 1:30pm in the Student Center/MRC Lounge  

FAQs: Student Work 

Who can work on campus?
All current students are eligible to work on-campus student work positions. Students may not work while they are on a leave of absence (see leave of absence FAQs). Students may work during breaks between academic semesters.

How do I get an on-campus position?
Students must apply for on-campus positions. See searching for student work for more information on locating on-campus positions. You can find open positions by looking at Handshake or contacting the Student Work Office.

Where can I get more information about work-study?
Find more information about work-study (Federal Work-Study and Reed Work-Study), see the work-study page. 

How much can I work?
Students are advised to work to earn the amount of their work award (for a $2000 work award, this is about 5 hours/week during the semester). Students are not permitted to work more than 20 hours/week in all positions combined when classes are in session, including off-campus work-study positions through SEEDS, and not more than 40 hours/week during breaks. Students are permitted to hold more than one on-campus position at the same time.

If you work in an off-campus Federal Work-Study position through SEEDS, you can only earn up to your award amount (usually $2000/year) in off-campus position(s). This amounts to about 160 hours per academic year, or about 5 hours/week during each semester. If you also work in a position on campus, those hours do not count towards this amount. 

When and how do I get paid for on-campus work?
Students are paid through bi-weekly paychecks for on-campus student work. See student payroll for information on timesheets, pay schedules, and direct deposit for student work.

Can international students work on campus?
Yes, international students are permitted to work in on-campus positions at Reed. For more information see international student employment.

As an international student, the first time you are hired on campus, you will need to obtain a social security number in order to be paid for on-campus work at Reed. Please see Reed's process for hiring international students for more information about the steps involved in obtaining a social security number.  


Contact Us

Kate Walford
Student Work Coordinator

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Eliot 202