Electronic Thesis Submission
Instructions for Electronic Thesis Submission–Spring 2024
- The student provides the thesis adviser with a PDF of a properly-formatted thesis draft (it is recommended to use one of the available templates for correct formatting). The thesis adviser approves the document for submission by providing the student a proof of approval document in PDF format (a PDF of a Reed email is sufficient).
- Once the thesis adviser approves the thesis submission and no later than 3pm on Friday, April 26, the student submits a PDF of the thesis adviser approval -AND- a PDF of the final thesis via the Reed College Thesis Submission System after they are sure the thesis is acceptable for distribution to the members of the orals board.
- Once the submission of the thesis is confirmed, registrar staff will notify the student and thesis adviser and mark the submission as under review.
- The student will immediately provide a copy (electronic or paper) to each member of the orals board, ensuring the readers have at least 48 hours to review the document before the exam.
- The library will follow up with students on required format updates to their thesis after it is submitted to the registrar. See the Thesis LibGuide for details on required formatting.
- After the oral exam, the student must make any edits required by the orals board and all formatting updates required by the library. We recommend that you do this immediately.
- As soon as possible but no later than noon on Friday, May 10, the student will upload their corrected thesis through the Reed College Thesis Submission System. The library will check that the thesis meets the requirements and notify the student if their submission has been approved or if further changes are required.
Please note: The library thesis submission is a degree requirement! The library will coordinate and cover the cost of the printing and binding of the two library copies. If personal copies are desired, please submit the Google form on the Print Services website.
Instructions for Requesting an Extension
A student who wishes to request an extension should contact their thesis adviser to see if the option is available. If so, they may request the extension and upload proof of the thesis adviser’s approval in PDF format (a PDF of a Reed email is sufficient) via the Extension Request Form before 3pm on Friday, April 26. There are two extension options:
- Weekend extension - the thesis is due no later than 3pm on Monday, April 29. Because the orals board must receive the thesis no later than 48 hours before the scheduled exam, taking the weekend extension would require rescheduling any Monday or Tuesday oral exams.
- Summer extension - the thesis is due no later than 3pm on Tuesday, September 3. Taking the summer extension results in a delay of your graduation date to the fall semester (or later if there are other outstanding requirements).
Laurels will be available for pickup in the Eliot Chapel once your final thesis draft has been submitted to the Reed College Thesis Submission System.
Monday, April 22 - 11am–1pm
Tuesday, April 23 - 12pm–2pm
Wednesday, April 24 - 11am–1pm
Thursday, April 25 - 12pm–2pm & 3pm–5pm
Friday, April 26 - 11am–4pm
Electronic Thesis Board
We want to celebrate this occasion by posting your information on a digital thesis board. Instructions for including your name, major, and thesis title on our virtual Thesis Board 2024 will be available soon.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Office of the Registrar
Last updated March 1, 2024