For all Students
Events and Opportunities: See this page for more information on:
- Public Policy Lectures;
- sending students to the Student Conference on US Affairs (SCUSA);
- the Political Science email list; and
- Legal Studies at Reed.
Department Policies: See this page for more information on:
- Declaring under 2016 or 2017 Requirements;
- Enrollment Priority Policy criteria;
- Policy Regarding Transfer Of Credits For Political Science;
- AP/IB Credit Policy; and
- Political Science Policy on Interdisciplinary Ad Hoc Majors.
Political Science LibGuide: The library maintains a site that many students may find useful. It includes:
- starting resources for a Literature Review;
- additional E-Collections that students may find useful;
- statistical data, spatial data, and other documents;
- useful news sources;
- important reference works;
- a list of resources for the junior qual; and
- additional research links.
For all Majors
The Qual Guide
To become a senior in Political Science, a student must pass the department junior examination offered in the second semester of the student’s junior year. The exam consists of taking the junior seminar, completing three introductory courses, and writing a research design. See the Junior Qual Handbook for a longer description and details.
The Thesis Guide
Many resources are available for seniors writing theses in political science, including the Political Science Senior Thesis Handbook; we recommend that seniors also look at the general resources offered by the CIS thesis page and the Reed Senior Handbook (PDF). A list of past theses in political science are available from the Reed College Library Catalog.
The Center for Life Beyond Reed
This site has several resources: information on what Political Science majors do after graduation popular graduate school and career choices for Reed graduates who majored in Political Science, including names and contact information for several alumni volunteers who majored in Political Science; a number of resources on graduate and professional school; other career exploration, internship, and job search tools.
The Alumni Directory
Search the alumni directory by major to see where recent graduates are. For example, you can search for Political Science graduates in the last decade who have a post-graduate degree or are currently grad students.