IRIS Tutor Booking App Instructions
For all students: How can I book a tutor?
In the past, you may have set up appointments with tutors via email. Ongoing, we ask that you visit the booking app at https://iris.reed.edu/tutor/tutors/profiles/ and book tutors via the links beside their names that say "book this tutor".
To do so, please follow these instructions:
- Visit the tutoring app at https://iris.reed.edu/tutor/tutors/profiles/ (you’ll need to use your Reed credentials to log in)
- Search for your course using the text-entry box, or scroll down the page to find it. If you don't know which tutor to book, you can choose to email all tutors for a course. Explain what you want help with and when you'd like to meet, and wait for a reply. Once a tutor agrees, come back to the Tutoring App to continue these steps.
- Once you know which tutor you want, click on the link next to their name that says "book this tutor". You'll be taken to a page to fill out a form requesting an appointment.
- Select up to three dates and times that fit the tutor's availability. Their availability can be shown by clicking the availability links at the top of the form.
- If you're eligible for more than one hour (through DSS, thesis tutoring, or if you're pooling hours with other students) check the box and add a comment describing why.
- Select a course, the general reasons for your appointment, and suggest a location (or several). Add any extra comments that would be helpful for the tutor, and click "Request Booking"
- You and the tutor should receive emails confirming that you have booked a session, and the tutor may reply to work out some details via email. Once these details are decided, the tutor will confirm the booking and you will be emailed with the final times and details.
You can view your upcoming appointments through IRIS, at My Upcoming Appointments. If you need to cancel or change an appointment, please give the tutor as much notice as possible.
I'm a tutor - what’s the TL;DR?
- The tutoring app lives at: https://iris.reed.edu/tutor/tutors/profiles/
- You NEED TO set your hours and profile blurb in the app so students can book you
- Students will book you through the app, you can exchange emails to work out details, and confirm or make some changes in the app.
- You can see your upcoming and past bookings in the app.
- You can BOOK tutors for yourself in the app, too.
- If a student doesn’t use the app, YOU NEED TO ADD the appointment yourself, in order to get paid for those hours. You’ll get chased up if you don’t.
- The app is new, contact Emily with any bugs or questions!
For tutors: How to set up your tutor profile
Visit the app in IRIS and click on “Edit your tutoring info” in the sidebar. You’ll want to write a quick introduction for yourself for each subject. Consider including:
- Your major
- The professor you had for the course you’re tutoring
- What you like about the course
- A nice, friendly note to encourage students to book you
You’ll also need to fill out your availability hours. Students can’t book you in the app until you do this. Block out the times you have classes and extra-curricular activities, and leave the times free when you’re open to bookings.
For tutors: How to accept a booking
If a student books a tutoring session with you, you’ll receive an email from the student’s email address, with the details of the session. The student will suggest up to three times for the session, along with a suggested location, and some information on what they want help with.
The email will look something like this:
Course: CHEM 212
Additional comments: N/A
From here, you can do three things:
- Reply via email to decline the booking, and click the link at the bottom of the email to cancel it in the system.
- Reply via email to the student to work out details, ask for more information, or send any message you think is important. Let them know if none of these times work, or if a different location would be better, etc. This conversation should happen via email.
- If the details of the session look good, click the link at the bottom of the email to confirm this booking and select one of the suggested times. You can edit some details of the appointment at this stage. When you’ve confirmed, the student will be emailed with all the final details.
What if you or the student needs to cancel or change the booking?
- If a student needs to change the booking, they’ll email you directly.
- If a student needs to cancel, they can do this in the app, but they may also email you. If so, you can ask them to cancel the session in the app, or you can do it from your end.
- If you need to change the booking, you may be able to change it in the app. Some things, like date and time can be altered by you. The student will be emailed with updates. If you need to change something that can’t be changed in the app, you’ll need to cancel the booking and make a new one.
- If you need to cancel a booking, you can do it in the app, and the student will receive an email, but it’s a nice idea to send them a message, too.
What if a student doesn’t use the app to book a session?
Sometimes students will see you around campus, and ask you for a tutoring session in person. They might also email or connect with you online. You can ask them to book you through the app, but if they don’t, you can add the appointment yourself. You may do this after the appointment, if you wish, but it needs to be registered in order for you to get paid.
Go to the app, and click “Manage your tutoring appointments” in the sidebar. Just under the page’s title will be a link saying “Add a new appointment”. Click it and fill in the details for the upcoming or past session with the student.
Please direct any questions or feedback to Miguel Rodriguez. We're always looking for ways to improve this app and the tutoring program!