Students for Education, Equity, and Direct Service
SEEDS—Students for Education, Equity, and Direct Service—is focused on building and sustaining programs that foster positive, healthy change in the world and are mutually beneficial for Reed students, local community members, and community organizations.
To educate the entire Reed community about working for positive change, SEEDS brings community members and representatives of community organizations to campus for events, and provides pathways for students, staff, and faculty to get involved in this work both on and off campus.
Committed to expanding the scope of Reed's academic mission, SEEDS provides Reed students with access to volunteer opportunities, fellowships and Federal Work-Study, and trainings and workshops. Through their work with SEEDS, students
- reflect on their position in the world;
- strengthen their commitments to social justice;
- build authentic, reciprocal relationships with community partners;
- gain skills;
- support positive, sustainable social change in and around Portland.
Opportunities at a Glance
Depending on your schedule and interests, you can participate in weekly, monthly, or drop-in opportunities with SEEDS. Starred (*) programs qualify for off-campus Federal Work-Study. In addition, you may be able to earn college credit for your work.
- *SEEDS @Schools
- *Off-campus Federal Work-Study
- Reed Community Pantry
- Community Cycling Program
- *SMART (Start Making a Reader Today)
- Pre-Health Program
Check out our map of community partners for more opportunities. (You must be signed into your reed.edu Gmail account to access the map.)
Monthly and Drop-In
Note: one-time and monthly events are not eligible for off-campus Federal Work-Study.
- NE Emergency Food Program
- Critical Resistance Prisoner Correspondence Night
- Collective Voices: Solidarity Series
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Engagement
- On-campus blood drives
*Note: are you FWS-eligible? Get paid to work with organizations in Portland! Follow the six-step process to get started. Not FWS-eligible? You're welcome to volunteer for most positions!